• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much to tip the pizza delivery guy?

LightPhoenix

First Post
kenobi65 said:
In addition, as LightPhoenix notes, in some jobs in which tipping is expected (e.g., waiters), the minimum wage apparently doesn't apply. I'm not sure if "delivery driver" is among those that are exempt from the minimum.

Oh yes.

Any job in which you get tips (or commission, which falls under the same tax law, IIRC) is exempt. I've found, especially in more recent years, that most companies will match minimum wage, or close to it, even with tips, simply because it attracts better workers, and doesn't cost much out of pocket. The reason it's exempt, IIRC, is because the government taxes tips and commissions, and thus that's considered part of your paycheck.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LightPhoenix said:
Any job in which you get tips (or commission, which falls under the same tax law, IIRC) is exempt. I've found, especially in more recent years, that most companies will match minimum wage, or close to it, even with tips, simply because it attracts better workers, and doesn't cost much out of pocket.

Isn't there a law in the US that if a worker's wage plus tips is less than minimum wage, the employer has to make up the difference?

Or is it if the tips they receive is less than n% of the receipts over that period, or something?

-Hyp.

takyris

First Post
Do people tip when they come in to pick up carry-out?

I do, but I've lately been feeling stupid about doing so. And I've gotten dinged a couple of times upon getting home (botched order, real meat instead of fake meat in a vegetarian order, great stuff like that) that gives me an excuse to drop the tipping altogether.

On the other hand, any time I've got somebody doing a service job, my philosophy is also to overtip. If you're serving me in a restaurant and you do a decent job, you're going to get 20%, rounded up to the nearest buck. (And my wife is enough of a softie that I am forbidden to stiff anyone completely, even if the service was insultingly bad.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
takyris said:
(And my wife is enough of a softie that I am forbidden to stiff anyone completely, even if the service was insultingly bad.)

My (admittedly third-hand) understanding of tipping etiquette was that stiffing someone completely is the incorrect response for insultingly bad service, since they may assume you simply forgot, and your message is ambiguous. I understood that the correct response is to leave a tip of the order of a couple of nickels, so they are left in no doubt that the value of the tip is a reflection of your opinion of the service, not simple forgetfulness...?

-Hyp.

After reading this thread I appreciate the fact that there is basically no tipping in Australia. That way I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm tipping the right amount. I have done it a few times when the service and/or the food was really good but that was in a nice restaurant, not from a pizza delivery. Even then it wasn't a huge amount.

On the other hand, Australia has minimum wage laws so it's not like the person is getting paid next to nothing without the tip money.

Olaf the Stout

Dire Bare

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
Isn't there a law in the US that if a worker's wage plus tips is less than minimum wage, the employer has to make up the difference?

Or is it if the tips they receive is less than n% of the receipts over that period, or something?

-Hyp.

I'm no law or tax expert, but did spend many years waiting tables. Jobs that have most of their income as tips or commissions are exempt from federal minimum wage rules, but often are not exempt from state rules. In all the states I've worked in (just Idaho and Utah), the minimum wage for a job like this was like $2-3 per hour, plus your tips.

You are required by law to report your all of your tips to the IRS, but nobody in their right mind claims ALL their tips! Most waiters claim an even 8-10% on their tax return forms (in my experience anyways).

I'm also pretty sure that if your wage + tips don't equal the federal minimum, that the company does have to make up the difference, but this would be per year, not per evening or week or anything . . . and it really just never comes into play.

If you don't tip your waiter or your pizza delivery guy at all, your just a cheap jerk. And you'll develop a reputation of being a bad tipper and if you order repeatedly from the same place, well, you'll be lucky if long delivery times are all you get.

Conversely, if you tip well for good service, you'll develop a reputation for being a good tipper and you will usually receive better service from the same restaurant. Plus, it's the right thing to do and you'll be reincarnated into a higher form after you die! :)

I have a good friend who, along with his wife, are just terrible tippers everywhere they go. They also tend to frequent the same restaurants and order pizza from the same places. They are constantly amazed at how bad service is in our area and how long it takes to order pizza!! They just don't seem to get it (even though I've explained it more than once), that the service people know they are going to get stiffed and make them bottom priority. Oh well, some people (even good people) just never learn . . .

Edit: Although, I suppose my stance on not tipping making you a jerk obviously does not apply to our Aussie and Kiwi friends on the boards here! Just us silly Americans!

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dire Bare said:
I'm also pretty sure that if your wage + tips don't equal the federal minimum, that the company does have to make up the difference, but this would be per year, not per evening or week or anything . . . and it really just never comes into play.

But it means that the "They need your tips to live!" argument is less compelling, since their annual income cannot be less than someone on an untipped minimum wage would receive?

They just don't seem to get it (even though I've explained it more than once), that the service people know they are going to get stiffed and make them bottom priority. Oh well, some people (even good people) just never learn . . .

So a strategy for maximum efficiency would be to tip well anywhere you are a 'regular', and not at all anywhere you won't be recognised? :)

-Hyp.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dire Bare said:
If you don't tip your waiter or your pizza delivery guy at all, your just a cheap jerk. And you'll develop a reputation of being a bad tipper and if you order repeatedly from the same place, well, you'll be lucky if long delivery times are all you get.
Then order from a different place. :]

BroccoliRage

First Post
Dude, that guy already gets a paycheck, you're tips aren't being declared..

don't tip him. if he says he doesn't have change, tell him you don't want the pizza, then.

magically, they always have change they forgot about.

BroccoliRage

First Post
furthermore, he isn't paid the same way as a waitress, with the business augmenting his tips. TRUST ME, I was a pizza delivery guy at one time not too long ago. He gets a full paycheck in addition to what you're paying him. Don't tip him.

Here's a good tip for him:

"Invest in college".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads