How much would an item cost that turns you into a half-dragon?

Lord Ben

First Post
A player of mine has a Sorceror and wants to make an item that turns him into a half-dragon. How much would this cost? Any other ways of doing this that would be decent.

There's the Dragon Disciple prestige class.

The sorceror would gradually gain the Half-Dragon template and its benefits spread out over 10 levels.

You can find it in the SRD or in the 3.5 DMG. It was originally written up in Tome and Blood, if you need a 3.0 verison.

Sejs

First Post
He could take up the Dragon Disciple PrC.
Or he could find someone who knows the Ritual of Change from Savage Species.
I'd suggest either.

A magic item that turned you into a half-dragon, though? Cost? Uh.. lots. Like, more-money-than-you'll-ever-have kind of lots. I mean let's see here... stat bonuses across several stats, natural weapons, natural armor, hit die increase, breath weapon, energy immunity, resistance vs sleep and paralysis, darkvision, low-light vision. Think that's it. Ballpark figure would weigh in at several million gp, easily.

Ah - here's the perfect time to insert a plug for a grrrrreat! Eberron idea.

The Eldritch Machine.

It is, basically, a harnessed Wish spell. It must be constructed using very, very precious materials, in a specific place, at a specific time.

Basically, consider it a D&D version of a James Bond villain superweapon, and you won't be far off.

Of course, making the entire campaign revolve around a single character's goals in such a way might put off some of your other players, but if they get interested as well ... :D

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Or you could just buy such an item

Look in Frostburn,

It helps if you have a copy but there is an item called "The Ring of the White Wyrm" which gives all sorts of abilities (based on the abilities of a white dragon of course) but it also grants the wearer the ability to turn into a half-dragon.
The ring changes the wearer into a half-white dragon obviously but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to switch out the abilities to suit whatever dragon colour your player needs.

Hope it helps,

J from Three Haligonians

Creamsteak

Explorer
A fairly meager 64k. Can be created (I believe) by a 13th level caster for 32k + xp costs. Seems a bit powerful.

Edit: Duration of 1 hour. That's the limiting factor.

Last edited:

Fieari

Explorer
Something to turn you into a half-dragon sounds like it's creeping into artifact territory... as in, "Priceless" would be the answer. As in, "McGuffin" would be the only way you'd see it. Stick with Dragon Disciple, or grab the template from the get go (assuming you can start your character at a high enough level) and swallow that LA.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Once per day.

I don't think it would be "completely" crazy to wear two and use all their 1/day powers (like summoning a wall of ice) twice.

Also, I might be mis-reading this, but I don't think it gives you a breath weapon for that hour.

Last edited:

Remove ads