D&D 5E How Murder Hobo is Your Party

Shendorion

First Post
I'd put us at around a 3. Of the uncertain encounters we've had (by uncertain I mean ones that weren't guaranteed to be peaceful interactions unless we flipped out and killed everyone,) we've only fought when we had an important task to accomplish and violence was the only sane solution. We've avoided all the fights we could without jeopardizing our success, and we've subdued the only monster we've come across with any sort of magic treasure. In fact, we gave the magic treasure back to it and hired it into the party!

At least half of the credit for that goes to the DM, who plays all the creatures in the campaign world as if they've got their own motivations. Most of the time we get to decide whether or not we'll fight, and as often as not fighting just won't accomplish our ends or theirs.

It really does get dull. I ran a lovely campaign with a bunch of amoral antiheroes the first time. Now, on the fourth time (with one campaign having tanked because it was designed not to work with murderhoboism), it’s getting old.

I am so jealous of those of you with groups on the low end of the scale. I’d rate my group at a six or seven.

May be worth having a chat with the group about there antics. I mean it just gets a bit dull sometimes.

Azurewraith

Explorer
It really does get dull. I ran a lovely campaign with a bunch of amoral antiheroes the first time. Now, on the fourth time (with one campaign having tanked because it was designed not to work with murderhoboism), it’s getting old.

I am so jealous of those of you with groups on the low end of the scale. I’d rate my group at a six or seven.
Have to agree with you there! It would be nice to have npcs survive!. Its gotten that bad that they heard a cry for help saw a dwarf getting attacked by gnolls they killed tgr gnolls and checked for frigging loot before even talking to the dwarf that was curled up in the fetal position.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Have to agree with you there! It would be nice to have npcs survive!. Its gotten that bad that they heard a cry for help saw a dwarf getting attacked by gnolls they killed tgr gnolls and checked for frigging loot before even talking to the dwarf that was curled up in the fetal position.

Ouch, that sounds terrible! If it were up to me, I'd try to find you a place with one of my groups. I typically play a classic, knight in shining armor, Paladin-type character, with a much heavier emphasis on the Good than the Lawful. So I've spared vampires who promised to reform (but killed the leadership that refused to), made deals with kobolds, befriended orc tribes (even got a cool title, Doomslayer), and rescued baby red dragons. I even helped sway our (Chaotic) Neutral Fighter to being (Chaotic) Good in Dungeon World--not by lecturing, which would've been tedious and boring for both of us, but by being an example. One of the best moments of the campaign was when the Fighter's player was genuinely impressed by my character volunteering for a gross and somewhat demeaning act, purely to help a party member save face and prevent a hostile response as a result. I haven't had a lot of opportunities to play that character-archetype, but it's a favorite of mine, and I've been lucky enough to have a friendly, responsive group that rolls with it--usually more by making me earn the "team dad" role my characters so frequently fall into. :p

Maybe that's part of the problem--how many of you high-scale guys tend to play with people that always choose Chaotic Neutral, True Neutral, or a Chaotic Good where the "Good" part seems really hard to find?

Last edited:

Azurewraith

Explorer
Ouch, that sounds terrible! If it were up to me, I'd try to find you a place with one of my groups. I typically play a classic, knight in shining armor, Paladin-type character, with a much heavier emphasis on the Good than the Lawful. So I've spared vampires who promised to reform (but killed the leadership that refused to), made deals with kobolds, befriended orc tribes (even got a cool title, Doomslayer), and rescued baby red dragons.

Maybe that's part of the problem--how many of you high-scale guys tend to play with people that always choose Chaotic Neutral, True Neutral, or a Chaotic Good where the "Good" part seems really hard to find?
Running with a lawful good cleric lol he was first to the loot. The cn halfling the first to check in. Alignments are loose to my players not like a dm can enforce them

SailorNash

Explorer
Surprisingly low. My Rogue has only unsheathed her dagger twice in a campaign lasting about half a year. My Wizard in another has only cast a handful of utility spells - perhaps two a session - though we're only about five sessions into that one. We only really average one combat a day, if that, which is perhaps why as a Warlock fan the Short Rest mechanic annoys me so.

Yep, murderhobos rarely care about alignment. It’s been so long since I’ve had a fully good-aligned and motivated adventuring party (regardless of alignment on paper).

I actually love playing LE characters, though, because they still have a code, have honor of a sort.

Running with a lawful good cleric lol he was first to the loot. The cn halfling the first to check in. Alignments are loose to my players not like a dm can enforce them

Remove ads