How often do you provoke an AoO on purpose?

How often do you provoke an AoO on purpose?

• Never. Why would you?

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • <10% of combats

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • 10%-20% of combats

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • 20%-50% of combats

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Real Men do not care about AoOs! Please pass the dice and a fresh sheet of paper.

Votes: 7 6.1%

Christian

Explorer
Against foes without Combat Reflexes (i.e. virtually anybody), it may be useful for a tank or character with Mobility to provoke an AoO in order to make the AoO unavailable against a more vulnerable character later in the round. I had a monk who once helped a cleric who was out of turning attempts and had a pathetic Concentration score Cure the snot out of a nasty undead ... Kind of freaked out the DM.
Me: "I move past and flank it."
DM: "OK. Make your Tumble roll."
Me: "Nah. I don't think I'll tumble today."
DM: (pause) "Oh ... I see what you're trying to do."
Me: "I'm sure you do. But does it?"
DM: (Pause, sigh) "What's your touch AC?"
Me: "Against the attack of opportunity? 23."
DM: (grumble)

RigaMortus2

First Post
I can't answer this poll because there are way too many factors/variables. It depends on the class I am playing, my AC, my HPs, the reason(s) why I would or would not want to purposely provoke, etc.

Also, I am confused. Your poll question asks "How often do you provoke an AoO on purpose?" and your follow-up question in the text says "whether on purpose, or not". So which is it?

With one char I played, I'd say it was about 50% of the time. I had a "flame shield" and some DR ability and I WANTED to get so the opponents would take damage and/or kill themselves. Other characters, I provoke because I have a very good chance of NOT getting hit, and it would set up my allies for a more advantagous position. Sometimes I provoke so that an ally who is badly hurt can get away. Other times, I would avoid AoOs at all times.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
As a player, I *very* rarely provoke AoOs. It's far better to think a step ahead and simply avoid the need.

As a DM? Often enough to keep the players happy. Nothing perks up a depressed player like being able to AoO. :)

Elethiomel

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Also, I am confused. Your poll question asks "How often do you provoke an AoO on purpose?" and your follow-up question in the text says "whether on purpose, or not". So which is it?
To clear up your confusion, I'm going to quote only part of the OPs post:
Ridley's Cohort said:
(...) a PC that spends roughly a third or more of his combat time in melee, whether on purpose or not?
So you see, the "whether on purpose or not" is with regards to why the PC is spending a third or more of his combat time in melee, not why he's provoking AoOs.

Well, that's how I see it. I am not the OP, so I may be wrong.

werk

First Post
With my dwarven fighter, it is sometimes advantageous to draw AoO, so that's the way I voted. With my wet-toilet-paper mystic theurge, I avoid melee like a hard day's work, so would never, ever, intentionally draw AoO.

That should give you really bad statistics...

I need a clarification on what "on purpose" means.

Does "on purpose" mean that I am intentionally choosing an action that would cause an AoO for the sake of causing an AoO? If so, then not very often at all. I might want to do so to protect an ally (mostly casters), but the enemy could have combat reflexes, so even its a big gamble.

Does "on purpose" mean that I am choosing an action that will provoke an AoO even when I have other options available? If so, then pretty often. Sometimes, you just gotta take the hit and move through a threatened area. Sure, you could move around the enemy, but it might take an extra round, and I might not have the time to spare. Other times, you really do need to sunder or bull-rush, even if you don't have the necessary feat.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:

Overthinking on my part. Corrected.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
For this poll, "On purpose" means you choose an action that provokes an AoO when there exist others that are tactically reasonable by some stretch of the imagination. You could have avoided it, but did the deed anyway.

You raise a good point, Deset Glad. "On purpose" might be construed to only apply to high AC tanks with Mobility who are literally trying to draw out possible AoOs. I did not intend to use such a restrictive definition.

Thanee

First Post
So you mean, using an AoO provoking action (including the AoO), not specifically provoking the AoO as the primary purpose of the action...

Not a whole lot, but happens every now and then. Highly dependent on situation and character.

It's too easy to avoid them without using tactically lesser actions (or even different actions), most often via 5-ft. steps or skills/feats, and given the choice, it's kinda obvious what to do.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads