D&D 5E How powerful to make a hireling

aco175

Legend
My group of 7th level PCs hired some hirelings to pull camp duty and watch over the horses while they go into the dungeon. They are paying the base 2gp per day and wanted some sort of competent people since they are going to hunt a dragon.

I took a basic guard statblock of 2HD and added animal handling +2 and gave one a healing word 1/day power. I was thinking of giving him a 1/rest additional attack as well, but am not sure on if that is too much.

The other is similar with animal handling and I gave him a couple spells 1/day being unseen servant and floating disc. I was also going to give him a 1/rest additional 1d6 damage on a target an ally if fighting, similar to rogue ability.

I'm not expecting them to do much unless there is a wandering encounter. While the PCs are in the dungeon, they will be in the background and not needed so I may be over complicating things. They may turn into longer term hirelings if the PCs want to keep them around after this mission.

Thought? Thank you

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
2 gold a day would pay for a Comfortable lifestyle. Guards are 2HD and CR 1/8 - with a few 1st level spells or 1st level rogue abilities call them equivalent of 2-3rd level if approximated with PC levels. I'd say most PCs would want more than just to cover lifestyle costs for a day, especially if going up against a dragon which notoriously have hordes. Perhaps that's their salary but they are expecting a bonus like 25-50gp each once the dragon is defeated, and a lesser additional bonus if there is appreciable danger outside what what described.

Unless you are going to allow the hirelings to actually end up in combat, it doesn't really matter. If their job is to protect the camp, leave it at that. If you want you can narrate troubles the henchmen have while the party is elsewhere, but I don't think my group would care to actually use such in combat or work through any such combat details.

But other than the comment about 3gp/day for the spell caster, I feel you are pretty good with your outline.

aco175

Legend
@Blue and @LordEntrails thanks, I do plan on them not being in any encounters so any powers may be moot. There may be a random encounter where I wanted a bit of flair, but nothing special if needed.

I have them as getting a share of the treasure, but everyone thinks that there is a great treasure, but we are playing the Essential Box and the final dragon does not have much.

akr71

Hero
2 gold a day would pay for a Comfortable lifestyle. Guards are 2HD and CR 1/8 - with a few 1st level spells or 1st level rogue abilities call them equivalent of 2-3rd level if approximated with PC levels. I'd say most PCs would want more than just to cover lifestyle costs for a day, especially if going up against a dragon which notoriously have hordes. Perhaps that's their salary but they are expecting a bonus like 25-50gp each once the dragon is defeated, and a lesser additional bonus if there is appreciable danger outside what what described.
Yes, the hirelings could demand 1 share of the treasure between them. That is, if there are 4 PCs, they each get a fifth of the treasure and the hirelings get a fifth to split amongst them.

Remove ads