How Quickly Do You Read?

How many days (on average) would it take you to read a 500-page novel?

• 3 Days or Fewer

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • 4-5 Days

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 6-7 Days

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 8-9 Days

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 10-11 Days

• 12-13 Days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14-15 Days

• 16 Days or More

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I don't read all that much, I have no idea.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Depending on how riveting the book is, I could probably read it in about nine days. I used to be able to read a book that long faster, but lacking a commute to and from work, I miss out on that reading time (I still make the time before I start work and during my lunch).

aco175

Legend
Last time I really read novels was on vacation. I picked up one of the Drizzt books and read it over vacation. Then I bought the other 2 books in the series and read them over the next couple weeks. I guess, when I like the story I can read rather fast and find time. That was a few years ago and now I mostly read magazines when I's sitting for a few minutes at a time.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I read novels mostly when going to bed until I fall asleep. I voted 14-15 days. If the book is really good I'll binge read it to finish it during the weekend. That would give a result of 4-5 days.

delericho

Legend
I get through about 60 books a year, with 500 pages being about average, so 6 days on average. It's worth noting that I read more in the summer than the winter months. I'm not sure why that is.

R_J_K75

Legend
14-15 days reading a chapter a night, give or take, is probably a good guess. I used to be able to read alot quicker but with needing glasses 6-7 years ago I get too tired really quick. My attention span is pretty non-existent anymore, I get distracted easily and find I need to read things 2-3 times for it to sink in. I think increasingly reading a phone or computer screen more often than the printed page has effected my speed and reading comprehension when I pick up a book/novel.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Novel? Easily a month or three.
Rule book? A few hours to a 'day' (say, 7 hours).

Why? With rules, I'm reading them and absorbing the info. I'm reading it as myself, trying to keep things in my brain and extrapolating likely scenarios using said rules.

With novels though...I read them "in real time", with voices from the characters, inflections, and I let my imagination fill in the scene and nuances.

Rule: "Dwarves get +1 to hit against Giants". A 3 second read, tops. Easy. Simple. Got it. That's how I read it; I picture a dwarf fighting a hill giant and picture the dwarf getting up close to the giant so that the giant has to look straight down at his feet, and the dwarf can move to the side or try and get behind the giant. Easy peasy.

Novel: "Dwarves? I once saw a dwarven Hammerer single handedly take down a giant from Stony Hills!". I read it as I picture the character speaking it...with pauses and inflections. So about 10 seconds to read, maybe 11 or 12. I pause and picture the speaker sitting at the table at the inn, leaning back in his chair with a wry smile after mentioning Dwarves, as the barmaid carefully makes her way past him carrying a tray of beverages. The crackle of the hearth fire in the background. The speaker reaches for a pipe on the table before continuing with the "I once saw..." part of the line. Sparking up the pipe between "Hammerer" and "single", taking a couple puffs before finishing.

So, yeah. I read novels... "oddly", I've been told. I find the novels my friends read different from the novels I read.... even if we read the exact same novel. ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
If I put everything aside, a 500-page novel is an evening's reading. That natural reading pace did not work well when I was working as an audio engineer, recording audiobooks.

Nellisir

Hero
I go in spurts. If I'm into it, a day or two. If I get a bunch of books I'm interested in (say, as gifts), I'll burn through them in a week or two. If I'm reading because reading is what I do when I'm not doing something else, like right now...probably a week. I put 4-5 days as an average.

I grew up in a rural household without tv or a computer (because...the '70s). If I'm free to relax into it, I'll burn through a book in an evening, but those occasions are rare right now.

Also depends on the book. A more complex book takes more time.

Nellisir

Hero
I get through about 60 books a year, with 500 pages being about average, so 6 days on average. It's worth noting that I read more in the summer than the winter months. I'm not sure why that is.
That is a little odd. I'm compelled to be outside more in the summer; so I read less.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases