• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How RPGs changed one's life for the better.

Scorch

Explorer
I have been reading a lot of posts about nightmare scenarios of unruly (and unkempt) players and GMs. As a change of pace: does anyone have any positive stories of how D&D (or any other RPG) changed someone they know for the better?

I know we all unconciously love to rubber neck at car accidents and cannot turn away from train wrecks but I just wanted to see if there is an instance of a slob joining a gaming group and because of the people he/she met there was able to turn their life around.

In the current "....so we tossed the jerk out...." thread one person made note of a player who they gave three chances to clean his act up and now, after a few years, has done an almost complete 180.

I am reminded of the X-Files episode where the one geek made note that one does not play years of Dungeons and Dragons without learning a little something about courage.

Scorch out...

Einan

First Post
Scorch said:
I am reminded of the X-Files episode where the one geek made note that one does not play years of Dungeons and Dragons without learning a little something about courage..

Which is, coincidentally, the new D&D Advertisement in the back of Dungeon 128... I just about lost my spleen laughing when I saw it.

Einan

diaglo

Adventurer
i grew up with some guys who weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer before they ever played.

D&D helped them.

it improved their math skills, vocabulary, social skills, and made for a close group. we played during lunch at school. i helped tutor some of them afterschool and during lunch so they could play D&D... carrot and stick method.

no study. no play.

peers can be the ultimate pressure cookers.

StupidSmurf

First Post
In my life, roleplaying has (so far) provided me with:

1. ...an outlet for my writing skills, that paid money!

2. ...my thoroughly amazing wife....who plays in my Realms campaign and runs Cthulhu Gaslight! ;)

3. ...a forum to be an effective Christian witness without being preachy or corny, and give some people a leg up on finding a church of their own to be part of.

4. ...a means to enhance my kids' knowledge base so effectively that my son's Honors English teacher in high school is amazed at his vocabulary. He kicked major butt on this year's MCAS tests.

5. ...something that I can do with my kids that neither party finds boring, idiotic or sucky. ;)

6. ...a means of hooking up with like-minded people, and not just for gaming. A lot of gamers have some similar peripheral hobbies, such as horror fans, SF fans, history buffs...

...I'm sure I can think of more. This is all simply off the top of my head. :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
It's given me a lot of great shared experiences that I can relate to others who enjoy the same hobby.

It's introduced me to some great people who I wouldn't mind hanging out with outside of the game.

It gives me time away from my girlfriend so that I can gather my wits to think of topics of interest in the back of my head while rolling a d20 to hit. "Hmmm.... topics of interest...."

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
The best bit was when I got to 9th level and developed real black magic powers.

/jack chick

More seriously, I've met lots of cool people playing rpgs... it's really helped me get settled into a couple of new towns.

Given me something to think about whilst I should be working.

Know a couple of people who RPGs have really bought out of their shell... And like Diaglo a few people who've learned mathematics to be able to play better.

JamesDJarvis

First Post
RPGs have been good to me becasue i'm still freinds with 3 guys i knew back in highschool (been out almost 20 years).

Met my ex-wife because of rpgs and had two wonderful children. If I hand'y bene narried to her when i was, no kids and few of the freinds i now have would be around.

My son is a total rpg maniac.

fusangite

First Post
Simply, I would not have survived high school without RPGs.

Furthermore, the area of study I am currently doing my PhD on is something I discovered through RPGs and on which I did my initial research as a GM not a student.

nakia

First Post
D&D certainly helped me and people I know develop math, vocabulary, and reasoning skills when I was in middle/high school. It also exposed me to a lot of literature and other art.

The social aspect has certainly been the biggest addition as an adult. The people I have met though gaming have become very, very good friends. We've been at and in each other's weddings, gone on trips together, celebrated the birth of children together, and all sorts of other stuff. It's been a fun, creative, and social outlet that has brought a bunch of people together.

sniffles

First Post
I've met most of my current closest friends through roleplaying. I feel I have a good group of people to rely on for social interaction and help if I need it. These friends kept my fiancee from losing it to stress while I was going through chemotherapy last year, and looking forward to roleplaying kept me from losing it too.

I also know a couple who met and got married through roleplaying. They're both ENworld members, though they don't post much. Devo and Jubilee. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads