D&D 5E How should 5th edition introduce the remaining classic settings?

What's the best way to introduce classic settings to 5E?

Or Dragonlance could be a game-live show in Disney Channel.

Dragonlance has sold too many novels to be forgotten. It is the second best-seller of epic fantasy after Lord of the Rings, and it is enough family-friendly to be adapted, at least without big changes. (The cartoon movie was too violent to be showed to my 8-years-old niece).

My opinion is Dragonlance will come back after the media adaptation, and this when at least a D&D movie to be a enough blockbuster.

But the setting is too "small" when your PCs aren't the famous heroes of the lance.

Other option could be to create an almost spin-off, an alternative timeline created by a conflict between chronomancers and time dragons.

My intution tells me there will be a multiverse crisis event and this linked with Ravenloft and time-travels, causing a reboot of D&D multiverse, and a open door to the planewalkers from Magic: the Gathering as "guest artists".

A Dragonlance videogame is possible, but this wouldn't need only time, work and money, but love for the franchise, and this can't be got by money.

Now to start from zero is easier than to try revive an old franchise.

Or Dragonlance could be a game-live show in Disney Channel.

Dragonlance has sold too many novels to be forgotten. It is the second best-seller of epic fantasy after Lord of the Rings, and it is enough family-friendly to be adapted, at least without big changes. (The cartoon movie was too violent to be showed to my 8-years-old niece).

My opinion is Dragonlance will come back after the media adaptation, and this when at least a D&D movie to be a enough blockbuster.

But the setting is too "small" when your PCs aren't the famous heroes of the lance.

Other option could be to create an almost spin-off, an alternative timeline created by a conflict between chronomancers and time dragons.

My intution tells me there will be a multiverse crisis event and this linked with Ravenloft and time-travels, causing a reboot of D&D multiverse, and a open door to the planewalkers from Magic: the Gathering as "guest artists".

A Dragonlance videogame is possible, but this wouldn't need only time, work and money, but love for the franchise, and this can't be got by money.

Now to start from zero is easier than to try revive an old franchise.

It's not too small. You just need to stop playing in the overdone War of the Lance era. Even setting your game a decade earlier or later avoids this, but no, people insist on having products set during the original time period and then complaining because players say "that wasn't what happened in the books".

Xeviat

Hero
I'd really like to see a World builder's handbook. Something like the "Sigil's Guide to the Planes". Have a chapter for each setting, some with rules tweaks or new races and classes, then a final chapter on working as a world builder or a group on making your own setting come alive.

More adventures is good too. They are a standard lexicon that unites a lot of players.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Here's my view:

I think for the "kitchen sink" settings, chiefly being Greyhawk and Mystara, I'm not sure how many new player options you can add to make them truly interesting and great buys. So they might make good adventure books as well, done in the style of Curse of Strahd or Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

I certainly agree with this style for the remaining regions of Forgotten Realms... it certainly doesn't need another setting book, but regions like Kara-Tur or Al Qadim make great settings for a new adventure. This is what happened for Chult in Tomb of Annihilation, and I think it worked great!

Now, for the truly unique settings, like Spelljammer, Planescape, and Dark Sun... they deserve the Eberron the Last War treatment. These three settings have loads of material, and can easily make up their own books, with new player options galore.

For Birthright and Dragonlance... I'm not sure. Do they have enough options for a setting book? Maybe... Birthright can provide some mass-combat rules and politicking, as can Dragonlance with some more "epic" paths. But they perhaps should be adventure books as well, like how Ghosts of Salmtarsh provides ship rules.

Coroc

Hero
It's not too small. You just need to stop playing in the overdone War of the Lance era. Even setting your game a decade earlier or later avoids this, but no, people insist on having products set during the original time period and then complaining because players say "that wasn't what happened in the books".

Yea except that overdone War of the lance is what makes the setting unique and since it always was classified as Epic Fantasy tbh it is the only real epic period with high stakes.
Not even the time in the past before the Kingpriest was punished and also not the time when Huma founded the knights comes even close.
Do not see DL as a setting for us hardcore players which know how to use a setting sideline.
To be a top seller not only in novels but as a part of 5e DLs only feasable approach is the war of the lance.
And with todays premade mentality and to target younger players nothing speaks against impersonating the original PC heroes.
The only problem here might be Raistlin being a very grey/dark figure.

Coroc

Hero
Hawt Taek:

Raistlin was Drizzt before Drizzt was Drizzt.

That's right. Raistlin was the Ur-Drizzt.

Well i loved the novel where his test was detailed, it was a much more grim style than the rest.
I do not think Raistlin beats Riverwind in Drizztness :p
Although maybe yes when he gets more powerful.

No drow word for love :p

But the most tragic figures competing with Raistlin are eventually Sturm or Lord Soth

Remove ads