D&D 5E How should be a d20 Superheroes?

atanakar

Hero
There was one guy who created a full d20 version for superheroes. It was called the Phoenix Project and was based off d20 Modern. It was very well written. The guy is an English teacher. It used classes as base but also had a point-buy system for powers, gadgets and vehicles.

Sadly the link to his server is down. He was known as Orion or TheRealOrion on forums (Gleemax, Mythweaver).

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I think it's really hard to do superheroes in a class-based system. The classes are simultaneously too narrow and too broad for the genre.

I generally agree, but I think the existence of subclasses mitigates this.

I don't think a 5E supers game is the "best" way to do supers, but I'm sure it could work. Sounds like a $#!+ton of work, though.

We can create a d20 superpowers but we shouldn't adapt the superheroes, not without a previous nerfing. My idea is to allow a Superman defeating a dragon or a giant but losing the combat is also possible.Do you remember DC vs Mortal Kombat? If you played Superman you could lose the fight. Winning a combat without effort is too boring.

I imagine the setting like a century after of surviving a "War of the World", a failed invasion by the tripods, and the technologic advanced was stopped, and some economic crash after a couple of epidemics. The classis D&D spellcasters are almost forgotten and replaced by "magictek", too expensive for the mass production but very useful for the right place and time (for example to create machines what produce XXI century materials). One of the main antagonists is the deep state, a parallel secret agency, a hidden lobby, ruled by no-humanoids...The lord feys are trying a "teological revoluntion" against the pantheons, the gods who defeated primal titans for the ancient titanomanchy. (this is now our real world but a fictional setting). And then a planar gate is opened, or discovered, to another pos-apocalypse world, more advanced, but also damaged for the last war by the MDWs. Later new planar gates are opened, sometimes the first encounter is hostile, but other times both are peaciful and diplomatic (for example trading salt and exotic species).

There are bulletproof suits, by skin of near exctintion species, and its hunt is illegal. Most of criminals would rather no-lethal weapons because in this world murder victims can come from the death to take reveance. Even the firearms in the battlefield are almost a religious taboo and created more to hurt than to kill (sometimes war gods punished the firearms in the battlefield sending petitioner warrior souls from the Walhalla with bulletproof traits).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The thug with the machine gun is always going to be an issue. I think you'd have to stat out the gun as something similar to a trap, with it's own XP budget.

But I think the bigger issue is what power level would make sense. I always thought Superman was kind of boring, especially depending on the author. Playing a PC with the godlike powers he sometimes gets would be yawn inducing. Other than the kryptonite McGuffin or magic are there really many ways to challenge him? So to me the PCs would have to be B-lister street level heroes.

Batman only works in the comics because he has plot armor and is "The world's greatest detective". In TV shows like The Flash, the only reason he's threatened is usually because he seems to momentarily forget he's a speedster.

I think the Flash does well in protraying that just because he’s physically fast, his mind and perception still need to take time - and thats the exploit opponents can use.

The big issue though is Power levels which somehow need to be divorced from ‘Levelling’.I wonder to if it would be better to keep HP low (1d4 per level maybe) and understand HP as ’Action Effectiveness“ (Hero Points) rather than ‘Hits’. Would this help to recast conflict as being about reducing an opponents ability to Act (Spiderman snagging Winter Soldiers arm with webbing, the Flash being hit with a Cold Ray) rather than actually beating them up. (The death of Superman from Doomsdays Massive Damage attack would be the dramatic exception not a ordinary part of the rules)

The example of Superman v Batman also suggests that combat also needs to be broadened so that Superman can uses his Super Str for attack and defense while Batman uses his Super Wis.

Superman gets a Class build of Brick ( Super Str+Con) with added Flight, Laser beam (eye) ‘Powers’.
Batman has Class build of Genius (Wis/Int/Cha (Detective/Gadgeteer) and Martial Artist with Gadget Feats & Powers.

Oofta

Legend
I think the Flash does well in protraying that just because he’s physically fast, his mind and perception still need to take time - and thats the exploit opponents can use.

Sometimes. Other times they're sitting there going "wow, too bad I can't stop that bad guy". When it's obvious he could with his super speed. Much like superman it depends on the version. Some versions were seriously overpowered.
download.jpg

The big issue though is Power levels which somehow need to be divorced from ‘Levelling’.I wonder to if it would be better to keep HP low (1d4 per level maybe) and understand HP as ’Action Effectiveness“ (Hero Points) rather than ‘Hits’. Would this help to recast conflict as being about reducing an opponents ability to Act (Spiderman snagging Winter Soldiers arm with webbing, the Flash being hit with a Cold Ray) rather than actually beating them up. (The death of Superman from Doomsdays Massive Damage attack would be the dramatic exception not a ordinary part of the rules)

The example of Superman v Batman also suggests that combat also needs to be broadened so that Superman can uses his Super Str for attack and defense while Batman uses his Super Wis.

Superman gets a Class build of Brick ( Super Str+Con) with added Flight, Laser beam (eye) ‘Powers’.
Batman has Class build of Genius (Wis/Int/Cha (Detective/Gadgeteer) and Martial Artist with Gadget Feats & Powers.

I could see how a super hero game could be built, but if you want to go flat out tier 1 super hero (and yes I'm ignoring the ranking system I'm sure someone has) like Superman then it limits other options for heroes like The Green Arrow.

The problem is that something that will be a significant threat to one hero may not matter to another other than collateral damage. A mini nuke will take out Batman if he can't stop it, it might take the curl out of Superman's hair. Of course it depends on which version as well. Is this the superman that needs to recharge or the one that can extinguish a sun with his super breath?

Or at least that's my take. Lower powered super heroes might work, but I'd leave them at street level heroes like Luke Cage or Daredevil.

Whit actual rules, to give a feel of super hero I would do that:
Roll stats, but replace the two lower with 18.
give 4 bonus feats.
use standard encounter table.

Greg K

Legend
Personally, I don't think class/level based games- especially with D&Disms- work for superheroes . However, if you are determined to use d20, there is Blood & Vigilance (from RPGObjects) for d20Modern. The pdf is $6.95 at DrivethruRpg . You might also want to check out Silver Age Sentinels d20 Editon by Guardians of Order, but now sold by White Wolf (the pdf is $7.19). They might give you ideas for 5e..

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
There's an argument to made for levels actually being an appropriate - even preferable - thing for a supers game. It's one way to differentiate between more experienced and less experienced characters.

Is Robin the same level as Batman? Heck no. In the Spiderverse setting, is Miles Morales as experienced as Peter Parker. No way.

Basically, it's a practical and fitting way to distinguish the new heroes from veterans, the Teen Titans from the Justice league, sidekicks from mentors, etc.

Now I am thinking about something like myth levels or legendary levels. I would work like a monster template, or a template class. This wouldnot use the classic leveling up with standar XPs, but with a different type of XPs reward, let's name this "storytelling points".

For example a campaing in an low-level civilitation. The PC is a warlord with a little army. With his troops defeats enemy squads. Then the rewards for killing hundred of soldiers wouldn't XPs but storytelling points to "buy" improves in the army (for example a healer and a better cook). This storytelling points could be "spent" to "craft" special "legendary item", for example a mystic armour by dragon skin.

If we want a easier gameplay we have to sacrifice the "continuity" and the most powerful characters to be nerfed. This means nobody in the first level could lift a statue to throw it against an enemy. Nobody could be as strong as a giant or a dragon.

Remove ads