• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How should humans be human?

Ahnehnois

First Post
The ability score system should be built around humans, meaning that no modifiers is the obvious default. 3e's solution of giving out a feat and some skill points (i.e. versatility) has been a simple but brilliant innovation; even the power gamers respect humans as powerful, but they're as simple and universal as the concept demands. Conversely, the 2e model of "we'll take away the stupid limitations that shouldn't exist anyway and don't matter to most characters" is best forgotten.

5e might have some different language with the themes and backgrounds, but the principle of giving the human more mechanical versatility should remain.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I'd prefer humans not to have any ability scores adjustments, though a +1 to any one score of the player's choice would be tolerable. A +1 to every score and an additional +1 to a single score is just ridiculous. 3.x did a brilliantly simple thing by giving humans a bonus feat and extra skills. I don't understand why they don't just do that again. Oh, that's right. They don't want to do that because they want skills and feats to be optional, removable components. Well, I say screw modularity in this case. There's nothing wrong with the core rules assuming the existence of skills and feats, which are pretty basic and have been an assumed part of the game for over a decade. If people really insist on removing them, then they can either have slightly underpowered humans or think of something else to give them.

chriton227

Explorer
A bonus to every stat just feels... over powered.

I think this is going to depend a lot on what other races get, +1 to all stats, plus an additional +1 may be overpowered or not by comparison. If all humans are getting are the stat bumps while dwarves get something like a weapon damage die bump, a hit die bump, lowlight vision, immunity to poison, stonecunning, and a moderate to large bump to Con, it may be balanced, or possibly even underpowered depending on the exact list of bonuses for the non-humans. On the other hand, humans getting bonuses to all stats could be quite good relative to the other races. I would expect that non-humans would get a substantial bonus (at least +2 or +3) in their signature ability score so that a Con focused dwarf would still have a better Con than a Con focused human.

Stormonu

Legend
I'll certainly go with a +1 to stat of choice, but I think a +1 to ALL stats is just overboard. "Humans can be anything" and "D&D is humanocentric" should be the core thinking. If you want bags of weird races that can be taken up by adding however many races you want through modularity. Humans should be the "good enough" race for any class that comes along - not necessarily the best, but at least a strong running for 2nd against any other humanoid race.

Serendipity

Explorer
If the humans are the base race, then no need to add anything at all.

I agree. Nonetheless, the popular argument is going to be giving every race something or other 'because every option has to be equal /'good'. (Or something that looks very much like that.)
I understand why that argument exists, I just don't agree with it.

Zaphling

First Post
I'm tired of the human centered statism ;) It is unrealistic. If the humans are the base race, then no need to add anything at all.

Why would you get tired? The reason elves and dwarves were born is because Tolkien conceived them from Humans. Humans are the reason why other fantasy races were born.

Serendipity

Explorer
The reason elves and dwarves were born is because Tolkien conceived them from Humans. Humans are the reason why other fantasy races were born.

Um, what? Prof. Tolkien did not create elves and dwarves. In any case, not all of us play games based on the Lord of the Rings.

Zaphling

First Post
Um, what? Prof. Tolkien did not create elves and dwarves. In any case, not all of us play games based on the Lord of the Rings.

If you think it through, you clearly know that the fantasy races don't exist. Of course their characteristics are borrowed from humans, hence the term demi-humans. Dwarves are the hardy side of humans, while elves are the elegant side.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I think:
  • Non-humans should get +1 to a specific stat and -1 to a specific stat
  • PCs should get +1 to any stat of their choice, EXCEPT one with a racial modifier
So the floating +1 that humans get would be due to heroic PC nature, not part of being a human.

-- 77IM

satori01

First Post
A +1 to all abilities,in effect models a +1 to all saves and checks.

This is generally powerful. However that extra HP you get is not going to seem that great when the Giant Scorpion venom still kills the human, and the Dwarf is fine.

Humans are generally good, other races are more specifically good, and what is proposed seems balanced and in line with the scant info we have. It might even be underpowered ?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads