• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How should humans be human?

Kavon

Explorer
I dislike the +1 to all ability scores purely on a fluff-basis (not sure how I feel about it crunch-wise).
Effectively, all the other races would be worse than humans with their ability scores, except that they are average with the one they have their bonus with.
This means they're not "more agile" or "more hardy" (etc), like they should be (as it's the entire point of them getting the bonus).

It has a nice simplicity, but I don't think it will work out for me, at least.

As for what they should get instead.. Something like they got in 3e doesn't seem too bad, but then that would depend too much on what modules you're using.. It's not an easy question to answer.

GSHamster

Adventurer
What about

- no stat bonuses
- humans can gain advantage on any single roll, once per day.

Relatively simple, always useful, very adaptable.

DogBackward

First Post
First:
For single-classed characters, +1 to all ability scores is not unbalanced. For any given class/build/archetype, there are 1-2 primary stats, and probably 1-2 secondary stats. Fighters need Strength or Dexterity primary, with the other being secondary along with Constitution. Wizards need Intelligence, with Dexterity and possibly Constitution being secondary. Clerics need Strength or Wisdom, with the other being secondary, and melee Clerics using Constitution as a secondary. Rogues need Dexterity, with Intelligence and Wisdom secondary.

This means that, for a human, 1-2 of their stat boosts are objectively useful, 1-2 are possibly useful, and 2-4 don't actually have any appreciable effect on the overall power level of the character. It's useful, but it's not more powerful than, for example, low-light vision, poison immunity and stonecunning. Or low-light vision, immunity to sleep and charm and constant Advantage on spot, listen and search; arguably the three most rolled checks in the entire game.

Second:
For multiclass characters (hints so far point to 3e style multiclassing), +1 to all stats is a great boon if your classes are of different styles. This means that, once again, humans are the best at multiclassing. This isn't overpowered, but it is a very good thing because it removes the weaknesses that plague certain combinations of classes. One of the biggest drawbacks of 3e style multiclassing is the increased MAD and the fact that being a Fighter/Wizard meant your stats were likely to be subpar for both classes. Humans don't have this problem; with +1 to all stats, you can stay competitive even while multiclassing with two completely different classes with different primaries.

I, for one, am very much okay with humans being the best multiclassers.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I love it mechanically, but it raises weird issues. Humans are tougher than dwarves, stronger than half-orcs, more graceful than elves, and something extra on top of that?

IanB

First Post
I love it mechanically, but it raises weird issues. Humans are tougher than dwarves, stronger than half-orcs, more graceful than elves, and something extra on top of that?

Not quite. AS tough as dwarves, etc., with something extra on top of that.

EDIT: And of course this is only starting out anyway. If we can more or less expect everyone to eventually top out at 20 in their main stat (can we? I don't think we know yet) the difference becomes less striking.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
Humans should be had to kill. Humans shoud not have more hit points or better Fort saves- no they should die at negative Con time two, or have some trait that just makes them very hard to get rid of. Humans should be able to survive just about anything: plague, 100' falls, dismemberment, 3rd degree burns, et cetera.

I also like humans getting +1 on everything. Human is an optimal form compared to skinny elves, stocky dwarves and shoulder heavy half-orcs.

WSmith

First Post
What about

- no stat bonuses
- humans can gain advantage on any single roll, once per day.

Relatively simple, always useful, very adaptable.

In the friends and family play test, humans had something called human expertise. They were allowed to roll a d6 and add it to any dice roll they wanted. They could do this twice a day. Our players loved it. I have no idea why it was abandoned. It worked perfectly because for the first time in decades, all but two characters at our table were human.

Najo

First Post
I think you should give humans +1 to one ability of choice and once per day advantage on any check or attack whenever they want it. Maybe give them +1 on two abilities. You could also give then advantage or +1 on all saving throws.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I really like the Human +1 to all ability scores, and kinda like the +1 to one ability score of their choice, but not when compared to non-humans getting only +1 to one ability score.

If non-humans got +2 to two ability scores, and the Human couldn't add his extra +1 to his highest ability score, that would be just about perfect.

That's actually going into my Pathfinder house rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads