log in or register to remove this ad

 

How stellar was the old Fiend Folio!

Graf

Explorer
I hadn't looked at the book since I wrote a hypercard stack in a programing class in HS (a long time ago).

That book had -everything-. My according to my totally unscientific approximation at least of a quarter of those monsters went on to make a major impact on the game. While some of the monsters were developed futher (Githzerai) the core stuff was totally brilliant.

Did Don Turnbull/TSR UK do any other stuff?
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Grazzt

Demon Lord
TSR UK did the "UK" series of modules in the 80's.

UK1 "Beyond the Crystal Cave" by Dave Brown, Tom Kirby, and Graeme Morris
UK2 "Sentinel" by Graeme Morris
UK3 "Gauntlet" by Graeme Morris
UK4 "When a Star Falls" by Graeme Morris
UK5 "Eye of the Serpent" by Graeme Morris
UK6 "All That Glitters"... by Jim Bambra
UK7 "Dark Clouds Gather" by Jim Bambra and Phil Gallagher

Don Turnbull also did the "U" series of modules:

U1 "Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh" by Dave Browne with Don Turnbull
U2 "Danger at Dunwater" by Dave Browne with Don Turnbull
U3 "Final Enemy" by Dave Browne with Don Turnbull
 

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Graf said:
...according to my totally unscientific approximation at least of a quarter of those monsters went on to make a major impact on the game. While some of the monsters were developed futher (Githzerai) the core stuff was totally brilliant.

Not sure about a quarter of them or not, but several monsters that appeared in the original FF have "withstood the test of time" (the Drow, Kuo-toa, Death Knight, Flumph, Son of Kyuss, Githyanki, Githzerai, Hellcat, etc...). :)
 

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Nobody ever talks about the Nilbog. I guess they were hard to adjudicate but I have a special place in my heart for them as I used a single Nilbog to tear down the neighborhood campaign when I was 13 years old - a single Nilbog against the gods... :)
 

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Cordo said:
Nobody ever talks about the Nilbog. I guess they were hard to adjudicate but I have a special place in my heart for them as I used a single Nilbog to tear down the neighborhood campaign when I was 13 years old - a single Nilbog against the gods... :)

Hey- I like the Nilbog. That's why I put them in the Tome of Horrors. :)
 

Graf

Explorer
Re: Re: How stellar was the old Fiend Folio!

Grazzt said:


Not sure about a quarter of them or not, but several monsters that appeared in the original FF have "withstood the test of time" (the Drow, Kuo-toa, Death Knight, Flumph, Son of Kyuss, Githyanki, Githzerai, Hellcat, etc...). :)

Yeah. I stopped counting around H too.
 

diaglo

Adventurer
Re: Re: How stellar was the old Fiend Folio!

Grazzt said:


Not sure about a quarter of them or not, but several monsters that appeared in the original FF have "withstood the test of time" (the Drow, Kuo-toa,...


that's because they came from other products first and were used so much they warranted inclusion in a new book.
 

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: Re: Re: How stellar was the old Fiend Folio!

diaglo said:



that's because they came from other products first and were used so much they warranted inclusion in a new book.

Right. Descent and Vault..... :)
 

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
When you look at the contributions of TSR (UK) to the monsters in the Fiend Folio, it looks a lot thinner on the ground. However, there are some nice ones there:

Cheers!
 

Piratecat

Writing Fantasy Gumshoe!
Quick trivia question for you: which extremely active EN World member created the stunjelly, the quillan, and the shadow demon? :D
 



Desdichado

Adventurer
Ehh, I dunno. The 1e FF was full of a lot of stuff that I think was too silly for words. It had some occasional flashes of brilliance, but what product doesn't have at least occasional flashes of brilliance?

AFAIC 1e FF was a weird book with very limited usefulness and a high "noise" level.
 

Sniktch

First Post
Cordo said:
Nobody ever talks about the Nilbog. I guess they were hard to adjudicate but I have a special place in my heart for them as I used a single Nilbog to tear down the neighborhood campaign when I was 13 years old - a single Nilbog against the gods... :)

Heh, I have a special place in my heart for the nilbog, too. The first time one of these appeared in one of my adventures the party had smacked him up to over 100 hp before they realized something was wrong, and by hat time they had nowhere close to enough healing power to kill the beast. As I recall, they grappled him, tied him up, threw him over a cliff into a deep canyon, and then ran as fast as they could away.

From then on in the campaign, rumors would continue to trickle back to them about the mad, unstoppable goblin of the canyon.
 


BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
attachment.php
 


Grazzt

Demon Lord
ColonelHardisson said:
By the way, am I missing it, or is there not a 3e conversion of the Qullan? It was one of my favorite critters from the FF.

Monsters of Faerun, IIRC.
 
Last edited:



Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top