D&D 5E How to balance combat when 2 characters are average and one is extremely overpowered?

Wepwawet

Explorer
This reminds me so much of a younger cousin of mine (whom I dearly love), ever since he was a child he would never read through something. He'd just skim and make up whatever needed. It used to drive me crazy :p

This thread is even funnier because the original problem and most of the replies have the same origin :D

Scary

Explorer
I agree, some I do as well as other DM's I have played with, all PC character sheets are either emailed to or pictures / scans are sent to the DM prior to starting the adventure. Also, players are told and must understand that and major changes to the PC, must be verified with the DM, including adding/removing magic weapons, changing ability scores, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using EN World mobile app

76512390ag12

First Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk (I know you said you were new) but did you read the class chapter? All your problems with your rogue player could have been avoided if you bothered learning the abilities of the rogue, because it is also part of the GM job to know your players characters as much as them. If not, how are you supposed to know if you build balanced encounters?
Not necessarily. The modular nature of 5e means you can let players take responsibility for their characters and the GM does monsters.
But yes... This case does present a strong counterpoint

Posted by C4-D4RS on the MetroLiberal HoloNet

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
OP:

- Find ways to split the party. (Not always the same split)
- Re-check the math on ALL the characters, so you don't look like you are singling out the Rogue.
- If the Rogue has a reputation in the game world, send an assassin after HIM not Them.
- Use zone-of-effect attacks (Fireball?)
- Use traps and things that can not be beat with 'I pull a weapon and start doing HP damage to it'
- What do the Paladin and Cleric like to do? Plan a session with each of them in the spotlight. Plan a session with -some feature common to both of them- in the spotlight.
- Have a swarm of enemies surround the PCs, so the Rogue cannot 'hide behind' his friends from ALL of the enemies. (This requires a 4e-style battle grid and a lot of math; fair warning!)
- The King has heard about this very effective Rogue, and wants him to be blackmailed into His Majesty's service. You can't just kill the cops...
- A personal nemesis for the Rogue, who thinks the other PCs just keep getting in the way.
- An enemy for the rogue to go on a solo adventure and deal with, while the other two PCs do something important someplace else.

edit: No I haven't read the thread. If I repeat somebody else's good idea, mentally replace my text with "+1 to what that other fellow said". :p

Last edited:

Remove ads