How to have High AC on 3.5e DnD with Limited GP?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
While you gain attack bonus and extra attacks slower than the Fighter, you can make up for this loss with your spells. Bless is available at level 1 and gives the whole party +1 to hit. Bull's Strength can increase your Strength by 4. Prayer can give the whole party +1 to hit and enemies -1 to hit.

Eventually you get Divine Power, which gives you the same fighting ability as a Fighter, and Righteous Might, which grants a huge bonus to Strength. I wouldn't suggest relying on these, since it's rarely worth using an action in battle to cast such a spell, but if you have a chance before the fight, by all means.

A lot of times you're better off casting spells that increase power on others (so they have their full turn to use the benefits, especially if they are a Fighter or Barbarian with extra attacks). The main advantage of Cleric is you can wear any armor you want and cast spells.

EdenNotRaven

Explorer
Orcs are flech and blood, mortal creatures, and as such can be of any alignment you/they want. That said....

Evil alignments are not generally suitable for PCs unless they are in a campaign that is set up to handle them. Check with your GM (and probably the other players) than an NE PC is acceptable before you get too attached to the idea.

Ninth-level clerics get fifth-level spells, not sixth.

Clerics knew their entire list, so the only restrictions they have are which spells they have prepared on any given day. Which they can change each day if they do not like the previous days loadout.

ETA:
By ninth level, you should be able to reliably self-buff (and quickly). Assuming you put a decent score into Strength (and once buffed), you will be able to fight just as well as most Fighters, and still have (most of your) spellcasting to fall back.

_
glass.
Hey Glass! Thank you!!

Do you have an example of a cleric spell list?

So as Orc Cleric, I can look like a Barbarian, With Shield and Axe, and Cast spells on my friends?
I want to go with Orc Domain because I think it will be approved...
What do you think guys?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Orc Domain seems fine, you can also take Strength Domain (you get 2) by worshipping Gruumsh, the main Orc God.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This might have been mentioned already, but don't overlook fighting defensively in combat; it saddles you with a -4 penalty to hit in exchange for a +2 dodge bonus to AC, but if you've got a very high attack bonus that can be worthwhile. Similarly, make sure you're looking at how to gain cover, particularly soft cover from characters between you and your target (e.g. if you're using a reach weapon).

Magesmiley

Explorer
If you want AC for an orc, fighter and cleric are two of your best options, particularly if you are low on GPs. Clerics is probably the stronger of the two choices IMO, assuming that you focus on beating on things rather than answering every little call for healing during a battle (get some cheap wands of lesser vigor, ideally funded by the party, and heal everyone up after the battle completes).

As others have mentioned, never forget the possibility of fighting defensively. Combat Expertise is another option with that. The trick to using these tactics well is to be able to gage what die roll that your opponent needs to hit you vs. what roll you need to hit them. My rule of thumb is that if they need the lower half of the d20 to hit you or a 20, there's generally not a big benefit for these things. The rationale there being that they're not going to be able to reduce the hits (and your average damage) enough to make up for the penalty. If these modifiers can make the roll they need to hit your AC into a 20 it's definitely worth using. In-between gets a bit fuzzier. But generally, the higher the roll they need is, the greater benefit you gain (in terms of average damage) by pushing it even higher.

Probability is an important tool in understanding the effectiveness of AC.

There are also a couple of armor-related feats in Races of Stone and some new armors that can help with your AC too.

Another really ugly thing that you can do if you are playing an evil cleric: creating undead (spells) and commanding undead (via your ability to rebuke undead). A lot of players grossly underestimate how powerful these can be.
Commanding turns stuff that you encounter into cannon-fodder for your party. Let them charge in and take the hits instead of you. Every hit to a skeleton or whatnot that you control is one less that you have to take. As a bonus, they can lug around and wear all the gear that your enemies were wearing (to protect them, plus also so you can sell it later). Equally good, they can perform actions which are questionable for characters to perform, such as opening the chest that the rogue didn't find a trap on.
Creating undead (make sure that you have the material components with you) can be really nasty too. Usually you want to have the single biggest, nastiest skeleton that you can make with the animate dead spell. Which can be 2x your level in HD. If you kill something big, ugly, and nasty, think very hard about making it into a skeleton to serve you. Send it charging into combat (taking hits and unloading the hurt) while you stand back. At 9th level you can animate stuff of up to 18 HD. And there are a LOT of really nasty skeletons that this opens up

Not helpful if you're interested in playing an orc, but I will throw out another notion if you're serious about wanting AC for a fairly low GP budget: A mounted gnome. A key feat for this is the Titan Fighting feat from Races of Stone, which lets you apply the racial +4 AC bonus vs. giants to any creature larger than you. Tack on the small size, and you're already at +5 higher than what an orc can do. I say mounted, as a riding dog remedies the lower speed and carrying capacity of a gnome, plus it opens up being able to use the Mounted Combat feat chain inside of dungeons, which can help make up for the lower damage for being small. Armor, shield, plus a few lower cost items, and you're sitting at a fairly solid AC, for a fairly low budget.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases