D&D (2024) How to improve Topple and Graze mastery a little:

Horwath

Legend
Topple:
Right not topple is only mastery that requires a saving throw, that could slow the game down if 2 or even 3 party members have it.
Even one is a needless addition to roll pool.

So, why not make it; if you your attack rolls is by 5 higher than AC of the target or it is a critical hit, you knock the target prone.
This would also reward seeking advantage or other attack bonuses and AC penalties for target. And rewards the target for seeking AC bonuses or disadvantages for attacker.

Graze,
I have a problem with this as it is:
1. Always on attack will damage on a miss
2. does not take account weapon and other skills of attacker except STR.

How to improve it?
Similar to Topple,
If you miss your target by 5 or less, you deal minimal damage with the attack, just count every dice that you could roll as "1".
this would mean that on normal attack, it would trigger 25% of the time, unless really high attack bonus.
This also awards seeking advantage or other attack bonuses and AC penalties for target. And rewards the target for seeking AC bonuses or disadvantages for attacker.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Your way solves the issues that you intend for them to solve, but add a "math-heavy" component that would be unwelcome at many tables.

I think the saving throw part of Topple IS a big deal (though I have no problem with Graze as-is). It's going to be a pain-in-the-butt at the table, I bet.

Balancing Topple is simple: it can trigger once per turn, that's it. (Most of the Masteries could use that adjustment, frankly.)

Graze makes sense as something where you actually have to almost hit an enemy to graze them. So having it apply only if your roll is 5 or less below the target's AC does make total sense.

Remove ads