• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to infiltrate a Hobgoblin tribe?

RavenSinger

First Post
Okay, here's the plot I have so far. If you have any suggestions on 1). how to elaborate, 2). possible PC solutions, and 3). where to go from here, I would love your feedback.

PC's are fighting a cult of evil druids that have started to learn how to fuse creatures together for a length of time into powerful monsters. At the end of the duration of the magic (a few days to a week), the fused monsters fall apart dead. They have learned to do this most effectively with goblinoids. The druids find tribes of the goblinoids and take over control of the group (by hook or by crook), and then proceed to experiment on the members of the tribe.

So now the PC's have heard of a very large tribe of hobgoblins (about 250 members) that are moving into the area from the south. It is assumed that if the evil druids catch wind of this, they will have a great supply of goblinoids with which to attack various unsuspecting human and halfling towns. So the question was how to get to the hobgoblins before the druids do.

PC's are almost 5th level at this point, so a frontal assault on the tribe is pretty much out of the question. And attacking small groups on patrol will take too long. So they have decided to infiltrate the tribe, and take over. So that when the evil druids come, they can direct the tribe to attack the druids, rather than be used as material for experiments.

So now I need to come up with a large tribe of hobgoblins for the PC's to infiltrate, and some idea about how they can succeed without getting killed. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. :D

--RavenSinger

BTW, party composition is as follows: Ranger 5, Fighter 5, Cleric 5, Rogue 5, Fighter 2/Sorceror 3 (going for Spellsword PrC), Druid 2/Bard 3

Crothian

First Post
Well, taking over the tribe can happen in one aof a few way. How daring and resourceful are the PCs? :D

1) Sneak in and take out the leader and claim to rule the tribe by right that they took out the leader. Might makes Right. They might have to challenge a few of the heros of the tribe, but with excellent role play and giving the hobgoblins what they want (promises of treasure, women, goats, whatever) they might just pull it off.

2) Sneak in and use the chief as their potsy. Beat him, up, threaten him, take something that he values...anything to make him do what you want him to do.

3) Do they have illusions? They could disguise them selves ass Hobgoblins and take over that weay or become important in the tribe in a dshort while to influence the tribe's reaction.

4) God gambit: THis is the daring on. Flashy magic and threats. Claim to either be a god, or try to influence the shamans of the tribe and fore warn them about the evil Druids that the gods want killed.

5) Don't do anything till the Druids show. Then attack either group and frame the other causing a battle to break out.

Hope some of those are helpful....

RavenSinger

First Post
Using a scale of 1-10, on the "resourceful" I'll give them a 7. On the "daring" I'll give them a 5.

I think they are going to go with a combo of Option 1 and Option 3. They have started asking if they can commission things that will make them look like Hobgoblins. I figure I can whip up some sort of "Mask of Goblinkind" type magic item with alter self or something. They are allied with a good druid circle, who would be able to put those together. Then go in and challenge the leader. As this party includes an elf and a half elf, I don't think any hobgoblin would stand idle against an elven take-over.

Any ideas about what they might find in the fort to throw the PC's for a loop?

--RavenSinger

Remove ads