D&D 5E How To Make a Good D&D Videogame

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't play much videogames, but all I can say is that IMHO a "D&D Videogame" is incompatible with real-time action.

If a game features real-time combat, then it's not even a true RPG game for me, it's an action-adventure game, but not a RPG game. It might be set in a D&D official setting, feature all the PHB classes and MM monsters, let the player "build" a character, and even have a story, but then to me it would still play fundamentally different from a RPG. For me it's all about the pacing, and the difference between having to think and having to act quickly.

I am not saying I dislike action games... but (once again, just my own preference) real-time action breaks a major feature of a RPG for me, which is that you don't have to worry about reacting quickly and make decisions in real time, but also about your physical skills on operating some "controls". If the game depends on your quick reflexes while operating on a keyboard/joystick (something you obviously don't need in a tabletop RPG), then it's already a different game.

That's why I consider games like Temple of Elemental Evil (turn-based) or Baldur's Gate (with pause) to be true RPG, but not World of Warcraft and Diablo III.

Don't take this as a market suggestion however, because I think the audience for this kind of game is a tiny fraction compared to that of a real-time action game.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
Make good games like Dragon Age:Origins and Divinity:Original Sin using D&D worlds and lore.

Requires D&D Worlds and Lore that are suited to a computer game environment. And if you really want it to be a "D&D" game then it needs to adhere reasonably closely to the D&D rules of the time, while also providing a satisfactory experience for a player who tries to play the game with any class/race/background/specialty without finding it impossibly hard to complete compared to another character - at least to the point where the 'recommended' choices don't turn out to be "Don't play this unless you're a veteran wanting a larger challenge".

Which D&D-esque computer game should I pick up on Steam right now? I'll be playing on my laptop.

It depends which ones you already have, if any. Baldur's Gate (40% off) and BG2, probably the extended editions which work best with modern PCs, are very good and have some good mods available that are easy to install. Both Kotor games are available too, and they're among the best cRPGs to use a D20 system engine. I'd also suggest having a look on GOG, who not only have most of the same games but also have the old Gold Box games and Plnaescape: Torment.

Eejit

First Post
Dragon Age Origins: I found this game frustrating on my first attempt, and unplayable on future attempts. Promises meaningful choices and consequences; completely crippled by technical limitations such as party headcount. Destroys immersion when you have too many friends and have to tell one to go :):):):) himself for no reason other than the game says you have to have a certain number of teammates. Spoiler: the "darkspawn led by a greater demon" are just orcs led by a dragon, and this "dark fantasy" is just regular fantasy. Also, if you meet a priest who wants to join you, don't be fooled, she's not a healer.

Uh, what? You do not have to refuse any companions in DA:O due to a number limit. Those you aren't adventuring with are waiting in your "camp" and you can swap them in and out. A couple of companions do have specific interactions that you can't have them at the same time, even in camp, but that's an edge case for plot reasons.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I don't play much videogames, but all I can say is that IMHO a "D&D Videogame" is incompatible with real-time action.

This is why i wish they would stop calling this so called remake of final fantasy 7 and just call it for what it is a series of short games we will sell you for £40 and just use the characters from your much beloved childhood game to lure you into buying it but we have removed the combat system that was hallmark of the series and replaced it with this new faceroll system so all the ADHD CoD kids will buy it, oh were not even keeping the story the same where changing it to help stretch out the cash cow we have got here.

Ok now im SALTY!!!!! and raging dear god im going to stop now now.... or i will start getting abusive..... and never stop ranting can you tell im pissed?

Ranes

Adventurer
Go for Pillars of Eternity. It is very, very good, and captures a lot of the highs of Baldur's Gate in a more modern and optimized user interface and with a lot of bells and whistles of modern games amid the old-school feel.

It even has cool cutscenes with choices that I haven't seen anywhere since Darklands in the 90's. :)

Pillars of Eternity wore off on me before I got to the end. I thought the magic spells were too narrow in scope, I disliked the fact that you could only apply potions and other consumables in combat (their effects wore off as soon as combat ended) and the AI really bugged me, because you couldn't completely turn it off and micro-manage your party (which is what I like to do). Consequently, the characters would frequently act spontaneously in ways I found frustrating and counter-productive.

Having said that, it looked and sounded gorgeous, had some terrific lore, a good stronghold-building aspect (which I didn't think I'd like as much as I did) and plenty to do. My gripes about combat aside, it could also really throw a decent battle your way every now and then. Overall, I thought it was a good effort but not great.

But ten out of ten for mentioning Darklands (which auto-correct wants to change to 'Parklands'). That was a stunning piece of work.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
This is why i wish they would stop calling this so called remake of final fantasy 7 and just call it for what it is a series of short games we will sell you for £40 and just use the characters from your much beloved childhood game to lure you into buying it but we have removed the combat system that was hallmark of the series and replaced it with this new faceroll system so all the ADHD CoD kids will buy it, oh were not even keeping the story the same where changing it to help stretch out the cash cow we have got here.

Ok now im SALTY!!!!! and raging dear god im going to stop now now.... or i will start getting abusive..... and never stop ranting can you tell im pissed?

Man, I could go on for absolute yonks about how people completely misremember Final Fantasy 7's storyline and various character's traits, even Square do. But I'd give Square the benefit of the doubt at the moment, because, well... Let's be brutally honest here, okay?

No one ever called the fighting system a hallmark of the series and it had been changing every game since so they had their own thing. You can see that in the very next game, 8, of all places. Plus Square are a lot more in tune with the fans after, well, the whole FF14 debacle and how they've been trying to recapture people into the series

But hey, look on the bright side! Square also announced a sequel to a game no one ever thought would be getting a sequel (Which is, in of itself, a sequel to a game that should not have had a sequel either). Being developed by a team renowned for taking what should have been a terrible game and making something amazing out of it, on top of their other accomplishments.

Nier Automata. That is a game that should not exist, and yet does. And resulted in the best reaction

Ricochet

Explorer
Pillars of Eternity wore off on me before I got to the end. I thought the magic spells were too narrow in scope, I disliked the fact that you could only apply potions and other consumables in combat (their effects wore off as soon as combat ended) and the AI really bugged me, because you couldn't completely turn it off and micro-manage your party (which is what I like to do). Consequently, the characters would frequently act spontaneously in ways I found frustrating and counter-productive.

Having said that, it looked and sounded gorgeous, had some terrific lore, a good stronghold-building aspect (which I didn't think I'd like as much as I did) and plenty to do. My gripes about combat aside, it could also really throw a decent battle your way every now and then. Overall, I thought it was a good effort but not great.

But ten out of ten for mentioning Darklands (which auto-correct wants to change to 'Parklands'). That was a stunning piece of work.

Depending on when you played Pillars, there have been several AI updates since, for affecting and controlling (or not controlling) the behaviour of the NPCs in your party.

As for Darklands - get it on GoG. :) The combat system is hard to sit through by today's standards though. I have a buddy remaking the game in a modern iteration, which could be quite awesome if he succeeds!

Ranes

Adventurer
Depending on when you played Pillars, there have been several AI updates since, for affecting and controlling (or not controlling) the behaviour of the NPCs in your party.

Thanks for the info. I played it quite a while ago. I'll re-install, patch and give it another shot, eventually.

As for Darklands - get it on GoG. :) The combat system is hard to sit through by today's standards though. I have a buddy remaking the game in a modern iteration, which could be quite awesome if he succeeds!

Fingers crossed.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Man, I could go on for absolute yonks about how people completely misremember Final Fantasy 7's storyline and various character's traits, even Square do. But I'd give Square the benefit of the doubt at the moment, because, well... Let's be brutally honest here, okay?

No one ever called the fighting system a hallmark of the series and it had been changing every game since so they had their own thing. You can see that in the very next game, 8, of all places. Plus Square are a lot more in tune with the fans after, well, the whole FF14 debacle and how they've been trying to recapture people into the series

But hey, look on the bright side! Square also announced a sequel to a game no one ever thought would be getting a sequel (Which is, in of itself, a sequel to a game that should not have had a sequel either). Being developed by a team renowned for taking what should have been a terrible game and making something amazing out of it, on top of their other accomplishments.

Nier Automata. That is a game that should not exist, and yet does. And resulted in the best reaction

Im re-playing it now on PS4 so im not misremembering anything i know whats what. How can the combat not be hallmark it has remained pretty much unchanged in style untill FFX where they mixed it up a tiny bit and replaced bars with a sliding scale ever since then they have changed it every game to more and more horrific incarnations lets not even start on the poor AI of FF13 that would leave characters to die as healing was dished out on % as opposed to absolute values.

Ill stop now as well i could debate this subject untill it turns out that the universe is collapsing in on its self.

Will Doyle

Explorer
I'd like to see an X-Com approach taken with an established D&D setting. For example, manage a fledgling "Adventurers' Guild" on the outskirts of Luskan. Venture into the ruined city with your squad, play a randomly-generated turn-based mission, then return to your guild and invest your treasure into new recruits, gear, healing, feat training, extensions to your guild HQ, and so on.

A lot like the new Mordheim game, basically. But D&D.

Remove ads