• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make maps

der_kluge

Adventurer
theRogueRooster said:
All of you entrenched MS Paint users might want to consider looking at Paint .NET. Think of it as MS Paint with layers. I guarantee you'll love it or your money back! :)

-tRR

I'll have to look for this one as well.

Incidentally, a couple of folks over at Circvs Maximvs have created maps after reading through my tutorials.
http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/showthread.php?t=3477

Anyone here care to try their hand? Show me what you can do!

der_kluge said:
Well, I downloaded GIMP, and while I think it's powerful, I should point out that the GIMP website itself says that GIMP "is not a paint program" rather it is "photo editing" software.

So, I don't think GIMP is exactly cut out to do what one might expect it to do. Cut out red eye from a photograph? Absolutely. Draw a dungeon full of square rooms? Not so easy.

In fact, GIMP lacks a tool to even draw a square. There are ways to do it, apparently, but it would take me some time to figure out how to do that.

The learning curve is fairly steep, I think, as well.

Just have to disagree with you on this. GIMP is MUCH more than just photo editing software. It can easily be used as a Photoshop replacement. In fact, that's primarily what I use it for. I can't afford buy Photoshop for my PC at home, so I use GIMP.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Just have to disagree with you on this. GIMP is MUCH more than just photo editing software. It can easily be used as a Photoshop replacement. In fact, that's primarily what I use it for. I can't afford buy Photoshop for my PC at home, so I use GIMP.

Just saying what their website says. It does seem very powerful. I would definitely take a look at it the next time I'm inclined to try my hand at some red-eye reduction.

While I'm here, I downloaded Inkscape. Very nice. The freeform line tool is very clunky. I found it quite difficult to draw an actual freeform line without it trying to decide where to place my line. Perhaps there is a way to dumb that process down. It also seems to have a bit of a learning curve behind it. Still, it seemed way friendly than GIMP in terms of being able to actually just draw stuff.

Thanee

First Post
der_kluge said:
In fact, GIMP lacks a tool to even draw a square. There are ways to do it, apparently, but it would take me some time to figure out how to do that.

The learning curve is fairly steep, I think, as well.

Yep, the learning curve is certainly there, but it's not that bad, I think.

It's a great alternative to the expensive Photoshop. :)

Bye
Thanee

theRogueRooster

First Post
der_kluge said:
While I'm here, I downloaded Inkscape. Very nice. The freeform line tool is very clunky. I found it quite difficult to draw an actual freeform line without it trying to decide where to place my line. Perhaps there is a way to dumb that process down. It also seems to have a bit of a learning curve behind it. Still, it seemed way friendly than GIMP in terms of being able to actually just draw stuff.

The trick with using Inkscape is to realize that you are using a vector-based program instead of a raster-based one (i.e. MS Paint). You aren't painting pixels, you are drawing objects. If your freeform line isn't exactly how you want it to look, simply edit the path nodes and control handles to manipulate it further.

One of the coolest features to me is the way you can use boolean operations on multiple objects to produce even more complex shapes. You can combine or cut from one shape using another shape. Pretty neat stuff. I've attached an image of a medallion I created for my campaign as an example. The three notches around the outside and the symbol within the gemstone were created with the boolean operations.

If Inkscape proves too bothersome for you, I again recommend Paint .NET. I was playing around with it last night and realized that you can blend layers with it(which is how I textured the jungle and grassland in my previous image, using Gimp). I've also used layer blending to add color to pre-existing black and white maps. With what you've been able to do with just MS Paint, I think Paint .NET will make your map creation both easier and provide you with some additional tools to do things that MS Paint simply won't let you.

Great job with the maps!
-tRR

Attachments

• medallion_r.png
    medallion_r.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 86

der_kluge

Adventurer
That's an awesome medalion, Rogue Rooster.

Here's the next tutorial. How to create hex maps. Fair warning: Creating hex maps is not for the faint of heart. This tutorial is also fairly lengthy. It's also not a very exact science.

If I can find it, I have an old hex map I worked up in MSPaint years ago. I'll upload it if I come across it.

Attachments

• paint tutorial 6 - hex maps.doc
    566 KB · Views: 92

der_kluge

Adventurer
Final tutorial.

Covers seamless color gradation, polishing touches, and advanced concepts on circles.

Enjoy!

After you've read all the tutorials, I encourage everyone to upload their own dungeon!

Attachments

• paint tutorial 7.doc
    415.5 KB · Views: 90

Maldin

First Post
Nice how-to for beginners, der_kluge.

Once folks have mastered their drawing program of choice, if they're looking for design tips (mostly geared towards drawing cities, but drawing-program independent), check out my "Guide to RPG Mapmaking" page at http://melkot.com/mechanics/map-guide.html for some pointers.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
============================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com/
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mechanics, mysteries, and more!

der_kluge

Adventurer
Just a friendly bump because I saw there was some recent interest in making maps.

Just a reminder - I'm still waiting for my student's submissions. :) So, if you've read these, I want to see what you've created!

Abe.ebA

First Post
Nice tutorials der_kluge! I've been doing various things with computer graphics since the early 90's (professionally for a while) and still have a fond place in my heart for MS Paint. I'm a firm believer that if you can't do it in Paint, you shouldn't be doing it. Not to say that Paint is always the best tool for the job; just that being able to find ways to do what you want within the limitations of your program and pixel-level drawing are important skills for graphic arts.

Also, I have to side against the GIMP in terms of learning curve. If you have some photoshop or paintshop experience it's really not that hard to get used to but coming from MS Paint it would be more of a cliff than a curve.

Anyway, I just wanted to toss a kudo to der_kluge and to say that somewhere around tut #5 my inner ear started hearing your instructions in the voice of Bob Ross (the Joy of Painting guy from PBS). I can promise you that at some point in the future I'm going to be making a map and hear Bob suggesting that 'maybe a happy little pit trap lives right over here... just like that'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads