• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to pronounce Artificer

How do you pronounce ARTIFICER?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
In Australian English it's ARTI-FICER.

With the Aussie english vowel shift, it sounds like: Art-ah-fice (rhymes with nice)-err.

In upper class 'Recieved' Aussie English, it'sronounced closer to Art-if-isser
my pronunciation seems to be a mix of the two if you drop the T ever so often.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
But the word isn't "artificist". It's "artificer". The -or and -er suffix don't do what -ist does.
🤷‍♂️ You do you. As I said, that was how I pronounced it and the reasons why. Personally I think ARR-ti-FISS-er sounds worse as well, which is why I don't use it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
🤷‍♂️ You do you. As I said, that was how I pronounced it and the reasons why. Personally I think ARR-ti-FISS-er sounds worse as well, which is why I don't use it.
Ar-TIFF-is-er sounds like someone intentionally saying a word wrong to be funny, to me.

ARR-ti-FISS-er, with the third syllable just a tiny bit less stressed, flows naturally, and sounds like words are supposed to sound, IMO.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Back in grad school I was reading my wife (well, she was not my wife then) something I was working on for class. She interrupted me.

Her (laughing): Did you just say cynic-doke?
Me: Yeah, it means. ..
Her: I think you mean sin-eck-duh-key (Synecdoche)
Me: Well, I have never heard that word said aloud, I have only read it.
Her: (continues to laugh)
Me: (looking it up): It does not help that while the noun form is pronounced "sin-eck-duh-key," the adjective form is actually pronounced "cynic-dock-eh-cal!"

Looking for consistency in English (esp. with all its borrow words from other languages and regional dialects) leads to madness and/or gatekeeping (the latter of which is a bad look).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It’s also consistent with artificial that way.
Yep. I have, rarely, heard artificial pronounced with the stress on the 3rd syllable. Every time, the “c” has been pronounced with an “s” sound, as well, though, whereas every American I’ve ver heard say the word says ARR-ti-Fish-ul.

G

Guest 7034872

Looking for consistency in English (esp. with all its borrow words from other languages and regional dialects) leads to madness and/or gatekeeping (the latter of which is a bad look).
It is also a fundamentally confused effort right from the get-go. At the moment, I cannot think of one rule for English grammar or pronunciation that does not get smashed up with a bunch of seemingly arbitrary exceptions.

You take German, Latin, and Gaelic and throw them all into a blender together. Hit "frappé," and there's English for you. You then can spice this linguistic smoothie with Greek, French, and Spanish as desired. Apply acronyms and portmanteaus to taste.

Remove ads