• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to stop runners?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
To stop runners?!

Wouldn't whoever has a missile weapon knock them out (or try to)?

Doesn't the wizard have an "at will" Magic Missile that always hits? For kobolds, at least, this should handle the problem nicely...and I believe the Pelor cleric has an at-will Radiant Lance? Wouldn't that take out the nasty retreating buggers? Or has a chance to, at least. The players can try to get them...will they get away sometimes? probably. But that's all story fun/goodness.

I don't know what the actual movement rates of anyone are...but shouldn't the human cleric or fighter be able to out-pace a retreating kobold...n' *BAP* 'em on the head, dead?

Obviously as other classes or higher levels are introduced, this becomes MUCH easier...druid casts Entangle, mage casts Web, clerics cast Hold Person, I also wouldn't be surprised to see a lil' "Sprint" feat added to a rogue, etc...

--SD

mlund

First Post
Caves of Chaos really isn't realistically designed at all. The mapping is meant to fit on one page, not reflect a viable dungeon ecology like more modern modules.

Playing the room locations realistically generally makes the whole dungeon sub-section into a single encounter. Orcs 100 feet away are going to hear you murdering their guards even if no one runs for help.

The module's just not designed to support "encounter" pacing for DMs. To that extent it really requires either the DM to force the issue with willful suspension of disbelief (what basically all early D&D modules required) or the PCs to force the issue with ruthless guerrilla fighting - hit-and-run tactics, luring kobolds outside, killing all the 2HP kobolds with well-placed burning hands or sleep spells -etc.

That doesn't mean any of the above approaches to module design or play is BadWrongFun. It just means that your mileage in the caverns will vary wildly.

- Marty Lund

chriton227

Explorer
... stealthing... taking out the potential runners... surprise... enticing monsters to come to us... all kinds of tactics we now have to think about again.

I've been playing RPGs for a long time, I'm very familiar with all of those, we use them extensively in our normal games. We are obsessive about not letting anything get away, our normal GM can be a real RBDM about how badly they punish the players for letting even the most trivial enemy escape, to the point where we refuse to even take prisoners since the few times we did they proceeded to teleport away to escape and completely screw us over. We stealth, we kite, we divide and conquer, we combine fire, we use and abuse terrain, we use surprise (stealth, disguises, unusual approach directions, etc.), we scrap and scrape for any advantages we can get. Our normal game is 4e, and our "adventure day" is typically 8-12 encounters (I think we have gone as high as 15 once) against almost exclusively above level encounters.

I can't conceive of any of these helping in the playtest scenario against the kobolds. We were operating on the GM's advice to go to cave "A" because they were in ascending of danger, and "A" would be the safest place for us to start as we learned DDN. If he was right and "A" was the least challenging, then we shouldn't have been playing as heroes, we should have been playing as cowards that just picked off a kobold or three at range at a time and then ran away, repeating over the course of several weeks until we had enough experience to level up, at which point we could be brave and try to pick off 2-4 at a time instead.

Stealth - The only party member with a reasonable chance to stealth had a hard time finding their own head with both hands in the kobold cave. The thief doesn't get their skill mastery on perception, since they aren't trained in it, so the scout of the party is operating with a penalty to their perception. The thief also can't see in the dark, so they can't scout into the cave at all (unless they carry a light, which totally defeats any stealth attempt). The thief is also tied for the slowest speed and lowest hit points and has a mediocre AC, so good luck running away once you eventually get spotted by a tribe that all carry ranged weapons and gets automatic advantage for outnumbering the lone character (even the base kobolds have better than 50/50 odds of hitting the thief). The dwarf fighter is the only party member trained in perception, but he has disadvantage on all stealth checks due to armor.

Taking out runners - There just aren't enough actions available to the party. The outside group was 8 kobolds, if every member of the party hit and took out their target (unlikely with them in cover), and the cleric with no ranged attack was close enough to get an attack in, that leaves 3 runners. The next group had 6 kobolds, so at least one would survive to run. In both cases, every one of the enemies was easily within a hustle of terrain that would completely block the PC's line of sight on their way to get the reinforcements, and the same terrain made it impossible for the PCs to reestablish line of sight and still be able to attack to pick off the runners.

Drawing them out - Why would they bother to come to us? They outnumber us, live in a prepared defensive complex, have ranged attacks, and since we need a light source it is easy for them to spot us, plus they are better off staying out of our light to avoid disadvantage and where two of the party members can't see them.

Surprise - Once again, since some members of the party need light, surprise isn't going to happen. Well, I guess it could, we would just need to pick the two players we like least, stick them with the thief and cleric of pelor, and tell them to go sit in the corner while the rest of us play the adventure with the characters that can see in the dark. Even if we could get surprise, because surprise is now just an initiative penalty, the enemies can still run during the first round of combat. In fact, if we get surprise they are probably more likely to run since they would have seen how much the party could do with a full round of actions before their initiative comes up.

I expected the Caves of Chaos to be something manageable for the characters that were provided with the adventure, not a Tomb of Horrors style deathtrap. Not counting the kobolds outside, the party can very easily end up facing over 70 enemies within 30' of the entrance, all of which get advantage for some flavor of outnumbering you. I think I would have been happier if the GM had just ruled that an asteroid fell out of orbit and flattened the party, at least that would have been quicker than waiting for the DM to roll attacks twice (advantage) for dozens of enemies that poured on top of us as soon as we walked in the door.

As is in the DDN rules, if you encounter a group of enemies that outnumber you, unless they have to run for multiple rounds in your line of sight to get to their reinforcements, there is no way I have found to stop them, at which point you get the joy of fighting every enemy in the entire complex at the site of the first encounter.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Playing the room locations realistically generally makes the whole dungeon sub-section into a single encounter. Orcs 100 feet away are going to hear you murdering their guards even if no one runs for help.

The module's just not designed to support "encounter" pacing for DMs. To that extent it really requires either the DM to force the issue with willful suspension of disbelief (what basically all early D&D modules required) or the PCs to force the issue with ruthless guerrilla fighting - hit-and-run tactics, luring kobolds outside, killing all the 2HP kobolds with well-placed burning hands or sleep spells -etc.

Sounds like the D&D I remember! I'm looking forward to breaking it out with my group next week.

mlund

First Post
I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

I'm not saying all or even many modules these days do a good job at it, but compare Caves of Chaos layout to Thunderspire Labyrinth or Sunderpeak Temple some time in terms of separation of areas. I'm pretty sure their are so many tunnels in the Caves of Chaos that the ravine can't actually sustain the load anymore all the PCs and Monsters should've been killed in a landslide long ago. ;)

The pretense of an ecologically sustainable dungeon is a waste of time (see World's Largest Dungeon), but "dungeon ecology" is just a term to describe the attempts at verisimilitude by giving a plausible explanations to things like:

"Why haven't the Rust Monsters in Encounter Area A eaten the Iron Golems in Encounter Area B?"

and

"How comes the Orcs in room 2 didn't come to help the Orcs in room 1 when we killed them? They are only 20' away and totally should hear the screaming and dying and fighting."

The more 20' rooms full of monsters separated by 10' hallways you try to cram on a single sheet of graph-paper the more "dungeon ecology" problems crop up. The DM just hand-waved all that stuff back in the 80s.

- Marty Lund

chriton227

Explorer
Or if you really want to mix it up, use a pincer attack. Sneak the rogue in, nice and slow, and have him hide near the exit (dress him up as a kobold, maybe? or just use straight-up stealth). Maybe have him set a trap near the exit, if you've got one handy...flaming oil works great for this. Then, when the fighter gives the signal, the rogue blocks the exit (closes and bars the door maybe, or overturns a table and ignites the oil), the wizard and cleric unleash a coordinated ranged attack at the biggest and meanest-looking enemy, and then the fighter knocks over something loud and heavy and growls menacingly "Alright...everyone who drops their weapons *right now* gets to leave here alive." If they don't surrender, then the rogue unleashes ranged attacks from the cover of the overturned table/flaming oil/whatever, the wizard uses MM from behind the fighter, and the cleric keeps the fighter healthy.

There was no door to close, there was no table available to overturn, as described by the GM it was a bare hallway with no cover and we never got far enough in for anything else except a pit trap.The only place with enough of a chokepoint to create a trap like that was in sight of the kobold guards where they could observe from behind almost complete cover. The kobolds don't speak common so they don't understand the fighter's threats. I guess we could have set up the mage, cleric of pelor, and rogue with readied ranged attacks at every kobold trying to exit while the dwarves blocked the exit and took dodges each round. If that is your idea of fun, more power to you, but spending the next 50 rounds saying "I dodge" ranks on my list right below mowing the lawn with scissors or scrubbing a bathroom with a toothbrush.

Or just avoid combat altogether: dress the party up as kobolds, and just walk nonchalantly through the room like you own the place. If you get stopped and questioned by the guards, make up a convincing story (or run for your lives.)

Dressing up dwarves as kobolds would be about as believable as dressing up Gabe Newell as an Oompa Loompa; had I suggested it the GM would have rightfully laughed me out of the game. We're not talking about dressing up a Frenchman as an Italian, with the size and build difference it is more like dressing up a rottweiler as a beagle. Plus with noone in the party speaking kobold, even perfect disguises would have been foiled with the first "Bree-Yark!" Comprehend Languages wouldn't even help since it doesn't let you speak the language, and you have to be touching the speaker to understand them.

a well placed grease spell can effectively make reinforcements and runners far less of a threat. I agree that we just need to get the players thinking about these things again.

Nobody in the party had grease or anything like it, the only utility spell memorized by any of the pregens was comprehend languages. Even once they get that, it strikes me as a bit excessive for the wizard to need to burn 1/4th of their spells for the day per encounter just for 50/50 odds of slowing down each runner, and if a runner makes their save, the grease will make it harder for the party to catch the runner.

Wouldn't whoever has a missile weapon knock them out (or try to)?

Doesn't the wizard have an "at will" Magic Missile that always hits? For kobolds, at least, this should handle the problem nicely...and I believe the Pelor cleric has an at-will Radiant Lance? Wouldn't that take out the nasty retreating buggers? Or has a chance to, at least. The players can try to get them...will they get away sometimes? probably. But that's all story fun/goodness.

You have to have line of sight to make an attack, and between the bushes outside and the corners inside, they could easily get out of line of sight, and usually far enough that you couldn't see them without a hustle, at which point you can't make an attack. The fighter gets automatic disadvantage if he fires his crossbow in the same round he reloads, and the cleric of moradin doesn't have a ranged attack at all.

I don't know what the actual movement rates of anyone are...but shouldn't the human cleric or fighter be able to out-pace a retreating kobold...n' *BAP* 'em on the head, dead?

The party all moves 30' or 25', kobolds move 20' or 25' but can hustle for 40' or 50', easily outpacing anyone trying to catch up with them to make an attack, especially since there isn't a charge maneuver any more.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I wasn't there; I don't know what the situation was that your DM described to you. Obviously my suggestions were not intended to be taken literally....they were just examples that I've seen players use over the years. (I've run the Caves of Chaos more times than I can count.) I'm sure that you can find a counterpoint for every recommendation that I make.

For whatever reason, it sounds like you've decided that the only course of action you had available was a full-on, frontal assault...and that's fine. It's going to be bloody, and you're going to be vastly outnumbered, but it can be done (we *did* storm the beaches of Normandy, after all). Stock up on healing potions, hire all the retainers you can afford, and cross your fingers. Find a choke point, put the fighter on the front line with the healer within reach, and keep your exit clear so you can retreat if need be.

The key is to be creative, and always be open to alternate courses of action. Because not every idea is a good one.

Hautamaki

First Post
There's no doubt that a 1st level party with only their starting equipment should NOT be making a full-on frontal assault on any cave of the caves of chaos. If it were that easy, I'm sure the soldiers at the keep would have done it a long time ago.

If it were me, I'd stake out the caves from a hidden location for a few days at least and pick off hunters for a while; loot and interrogate them. Once I know the political situation of the area and have some loot to offer, I'd try to stir the pot between rival factions. Maybe decapitate some orcs and stack their heads outside the hobgoblin cave. See what happens.

I definitely wouldn't actually be leading a full on frontal assault into a cave until I got to level 2, or until I had significantly weakened the cave. Perhaps by instigating a war with a rival cave, or perhaps by organizing a rendezvous with the chief in some distant location and then attacking while he and his personal bodyguard/retinue are away. Something like that.

Outsmarting monsters is so much more fun than out-rolling them in combat anyway.

Remove ads