D&D 5E How to Use "Charm Person" Without Getting Caught

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
V and S components didnt seem to bother Obi Wan.

[waves hand] 'These aren't the droids you're looking for.'
I think he was casting Suggestion. Charm Person gives more complete, longer-term control than that, and in my opinion should therefore be harder to use so subtly.

Charlaquin

In my opinion, the victim of a Charm Person spell should make a Wisdom check to be able to realize immediately what happened. They will get it eventually, but perhaps not right away. Without that, Charm Person is just a "Make NPC Angry" spell.
That's... Exactly how it works, isn't it? The target makes a Wisdom save. If they succeed, they are not charmed, and they've just seen you perform the somatic and verbal components. If they fail, they've still seen you, but they're Charmed, so they don't really care. Eventually they'll get it (after the spell wears off), but not right away.

That's... Exactly how it works, isn't it? The target makes a Wisdom save. If they succeed, they are not charmed, and they've just seen you perform the somatic and verbal components. If they fail, they've still seen you, but they're Charmed, so they don't really care. Eventually they'll get it (after the spell wears off), but not right away.

They become hostile afterwards dont they?

Or am I remembering that wrong.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think he was casting Suggestion. Charm Person gives more complete, longer-term control than that, and in my opinion should therefore be harder to use so subtly.
Charm person's control is actually very weak. It makes the victim regard the caster as a friendly acquaintance. Like the person you meet once in a while at a friend's parties. I'd give a friendly acquaintance a bit more leeway than a stranger, but it's not as if I'd even give one $20.

Charlaquin

Charm person's control is actually very weak. It makes the victim regard the caster as a friendly acquaintance. Like the person you meet once in a while at a friend's parties. I'd give a friendly acquaintance a bit more leeway than a stranger, but it's not as if I'd even give one $20.
Fair point.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Fair point.
To add on to my prior point a a bit. If you play it like I describe, and not as some people like to play it, the spell is right in line with other 1st level spells power wise.

A merchant might give a friendly acquaintance a 10 or 20% discount, so roll with advantage to persuade. He wouldn't give one 50-100% off, though, so with the outcome not in doubt, there's no roll to get advantage on.

Last edited:

Remove ads