• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to use the Burrow movement?

tennyson

First Post
Hi Everyone,

Just a simple question. When a creature burrows, does it invite an attack of opportunity if it only moves? Basically, I'm wondering if burrow should be treated as a movement or an action.

Thanks!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Burrowing is movement and provokes AoO as all movement does. The creature burrowing could withdraw to avoid the AoO. Also, most burrowing creatures can quickly and easily gain cover, which negates attacks of opportunity. One more thing, you can take a 5ft-step in a movement mode for which you have a listed speed (assuming >5ft speed). This means that a creature such as a thoqqua could take a 5ft-burrow straight down, obtaining full cover and normal cover, its choice (it might allow its head to stick up for example).

Raven Crowking

First Post
tennyson said:
Hi Everyone,

Just a simple question. When a creature burrows, does it invite an attack of opportunity if it only moves? Basically, I'm wondering if burrow should be treated as a movement or an action.

Thanks!

If the creature has to dig in order to burrow, I would say an AoO applies. If the creature essentially "swims" through stone, I would say not.

RC

Raven Crowking

First Post
tennyson said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

If the creature has to dig in order to burrow, I would say an AoO applies. If the creature essentially "swims" through stone, I would say not.

RC

tennyson

First Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to clarify one more thing (and I hope the rules support me on this, otherwise our group has been making a HUGE mistake):

If a character only moves, and takes no action (regardless of moving through a threatened area), do they provoke an AoO? Infiniti2000's suggestion of taking a 5' burrow movement prompts me to ask this question.

Thanks!

FireLance

Legend
This is basically the Withdraw action (look under full-round actions in the PH or the SRD). The first square that the creature moves out of is not considered threatened, so the creature would not provoke any AOOs for moving out of that square. If it subsequently moves through another threatened square, it provokes AOOs as normal.

For Large and larger creatures (who occupy more than 1 square), I would rule that the first 5 feet of movement does not provoke AOOs.

3d6

Explorer
tennyson said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to clarify one more thing (and I hope the rules support me on this, otherwise our group has been making a HUGE mistake):

If a character only moves, and takes no action (regardless of moving through a threatened area), do they provoke an AoO? Infiniti2000's suggestion of taking a 5' burrow movement prompts me to ask this question.

Thanks!
No, that's not correct. If you do nothing but move, the square you started in doesn't count as threatened. That's it. If you move out of another threatened square, you provoke an attack, as normal. This means that if you are adjacent to a creature with reach, you can't get away using normal movement without provoking an attack.

I would echo the Crowking's line, burrowing that takes digging would draw AoO, Earth Glide ability burrowing would not.

To bad the RAW didn't clarify this. Seems to be a lot of that going on recently (whip, entangle, etc.. )

:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads