How to use the OGL

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
On the A5ESRD site I am putting together a simple 'how-to' page for using the OGL (I'll do one for CC later). I want this to be a helpful reference for people new to the concept.

It's very much a work in progress. IT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. Feedback would be welcomed--either things which aren't clear, or things which are incorrect.

Vivificient

Explorer
Section 2 of the OGL says, "This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use."

This is separate from the requirement to include a copy of the license. So apart from the license text itself, it looks like there is a requirement to write something like: "This product contains Open Game Content, which may only be used under and in the terms of the Open Game License (see below)."

That said, I haven't always been able to find this notice in published products. I'm not sure if people miss it, or if they feel it's implicitly fulfilled by including the license text and a statement of which content in the product is Open Game Content.

smetzger

Explorer
Section 2 of the OGL says, "This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use."

This is separate from the requirement to include a copy of the license. So apart from the license text itself, it looks like there is a requirement to write something like: "This product contains Open Game Content, which may only be used under and in the terms of the Open Game License (see below)."

That said, I haven't always been able to find this notice in published products. I'm not sure if people miss it, or if they feel it's implicitly fulfilled by including the license text and a statement of which content in the product is Open Game Content.

Reynard

Legend
On the A5ESRD site I am putting together a simple 'how-to' page for using the OGL (I'll do one for CC later). I want this to be a helpful reference for people new to the concept.

It's very much a work in progress. IT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. Feedback would be welcomed--either things which aren't clear, or things which are incorrect.

Thank you for highlighting the fact that the intent is that mechanics are OGC. Too many publishers have tried to "cheat" by calling mechanics they derived from the SRD PI. It goes against the intent of the OGL at least.

smetzger

Explorer

That's pretty good. I would emphasis that people should make sure that they do not include anything that has been designated as PI in their product. So... no Mind Flayer.... but could describe them in your own words... "tentacled faced aliens that eat brains"

Staffan

Legend
When it's there, it's usually in a statement on the credits page or thereabouts, along with other legalese. This is often not the same place where the OGL is. But you're right that it's a thing that's often missed – or at least it was in the early days. I don't know if 3PPs in general have gotten better at it.

As an example, here's how the Book of Experimental Might does it:
1675040743908.png

This legal notice is on page 1, and the OGL is on page 84.

Remove ads