• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How tough are your adventures?

How difficult are your campaigns/adeventures?

• 1 - Creampuff

Votes: 2 1.8%

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • 3 - Challenging

Votes: 58 52.7%

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • 5 - Hard Core

Votes: 6 5.5%

Greja

First Post
It sounds like everyone plays the game at different difficulties, based on the amount of TPKs posted! What do you like about the level of difficulty you play at? What are your frustrations?

1 - Creampuff
Its more about being there than having any sort of challenge. The players are the heroes who can do no wrong, and its almost impossible to be seriously punished. You can pull down the kings pants, set fire to the wizards tower, and have personal conversations with your diety. The game will end in smiley faces and happy rainbows if you continue to show up, even if you take no effort in the direction the party is moving in.

2 - Safe Bet
Assuming everything goes according to plan no one dies, the monsters lie dead, and the players get the girl. Players can still be killed when they do really stupid things, but they don't die to bad rolls because the DM will find a creative solution to that. Its pretty standard for the game to end on a positive note so long as minimal effort is taken by the party.

3 - Challenging
By the book combat encounters requiring solid cooperation and party balance. Some encounters are too difficult, but they are rare. Most players survive, although some take a lot more bruises and losses than others (often due to not being cautious). The DM is more likely to capture the party than fudge dice rolls.

4 - Survival of the Fittest
The DM thinks the encounters are a bit weak, or that punishments should be more heavy handed. Resurrection may be impossible, there are many fights that cannot be won, and traps&tactics are geared towards killing players. The best players tend to keep their characters, but others fall by the wayside.

5 - Hard Core
Whoa, I hit level 2! This character is going for the hall of fame! Seriously, it's hard to survive encounters. You need to do the right thing, and dice rolls or poor decisions can often wipe out the entire party. Completing character goals is often harder than the encounters too!

Crothian

First Post
Since the poll defines difficulty based on how easy it is for the character to die, mine is a 2. Character death is rare for us because death is boring. Failure in my campaigns rarely means death. Failure has other consequences that are more meaningful to the campaign and to the players.

Khairn

First Post
I voted "Challenging", but actual play varies between 2-3-4. The culmination of any storyline will be a very challenging (4) confrontation, but the journey to get there may be filled with some easy steps along the way.

Falstaff

First Post
I selected Challenging.

Of the half a dozen or so adventures I've created for 4E so far, I've stuck to the suggested encounter difficulty table in Chapter 6 of the DMG.

I find that following that table's suggested number of encounters and their difficulty tends to create very challenging, but playable adventures.

Agamon

Adventurer
My adventures for the past 2 years were also Paizo adventures. The dial on those goes up to 6.

My own, which how I'm going right now tend to fall in the 2.5 to 3.5 range.

renau1g

First Post
My adventures for the past 2 years were also Paizo adventures. The dial on those goes up to 6.

My own, which how I'm going right now tend to fall in the 2.5 to 3.5 range.

Yeah Paizo's are really tough so I usually try to dial them back into a more "fair" category of around 3....

I had one too many TPK's in the Shackled City AP to run the adventures as is (one that comes to mind is the Gathering of Evil-doers at the mansion in Cauldron... that was absolute death with all the high-level spellcasters.... I had to have a couple of them leave to ensure that the PC's would have a chance)

Agamon

Adventurer
Yeah Paizo's are really tough so I usually try to dial them back into a more "fair" category of around 3....

I had one too many TPK's in the Shackled City AP to run the adventures as is (one that comes to mind is the Gathering of Evil-doers at the mansion in Cauldron... that was absolute death with all the high-level spellcasters.... I had to have a couple of them leave to ensure that the PC's would have a chance)

Heh, I had about 4 too many TPKs in Age of Worms. I thought it was pretty funny that the PCs that went through the first adventure were expected to be around in the second last one. The guys that replaced the guys that replaced those guys were dead.

Agamon

Adventurer
Since the poll defines difficulty based on how easy it is for the character to die, mine is a 2. Character death is rare for us because death is boring. Failure in my campaigns rarely means death. Failure has other consequences that are more meaningful to the campaign and to the players.

One of my above mentioned TPKs happened after my being merciful and capturing everyone. The silly players decided to escape immediately upon waking without resting, healing or regaining spells. I told them I can either chop off eveyone's hands or kill them after the inevitable second defeat.

Greja

First Post
Interesting responses. I've never played Paizo's, but it sounds like fun :p

I just finished my own 3.5 campaign that I would rate at a 4. I pulled no punches with dice, made frequent use of party weaknesses (namely inability to dispel, and fire vulnerability), and often monsters were above the party CR. To compensate, they were allowed any race/class/feat in a WoTC published book, and could have illegal race/alignment combinations ala Planescape: Torment. I did not monitor all the PC's choices, but reacted like the enemies in the game would have to, and was outright surprised a few times - sometimes resulting in a difficult encounter ending quickly. Resurrections were common but still cost a level, and a few late game failures made the final quest very difficult. The players were incredibly lucky for the final night's encounters, made great use of their abilities, and worked together like never before - only one survived, although that enabled the entire party to share a victory that was beyond their character's lives.

Many of the games I play in feel like a 2 however. The only times I die usually involve the DM not realizing how hurt I was, or honestly shocked that I rolled 3 1's in a row and fell to my death. Then there is always a quick way to jump back into the game without penalty for my reckless behaviour, which I usually dismiss and opt for a more serious reprecussion.

A Game of Thrones campaign we did once would rate a 4. I had a very unlikely hero whom I thought to be destined for tragedy (I like tragic theatre). I was an insane, bounty hunted, youngest, son of a disgraced royal line, and pretty wimpy in combat. PCs wanted to do my storyline as it was fleshed out in detail, and I think my characters background made the whole campaign more difficult. Reckless actions, like burning down a keep with wildfire (and keeping a vial with me) had some serious penalties. There was no resurrection, and healing was slow and uncommon. My character's Destiny feat saved his life once, although his face was forever disfigured from the blow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads