• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How tough are your adventures?

How difficult are your campaigns/adeventures?

• 1 - Creampuff

Votes: 2 1.8%

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • 3 - Challenging

Votes: 58 52.7%

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • 5 - Hard Core

Votes: 6 5.5%

thatdarnedbob

First Post
I voted a 4, simply because when I do throw my most ridiculous stuff at the players they find some equally ridiculous way to survive.

For my upcoming 4E campaign, one of the encounters I have planned is a Gibbering Orb (level 27 solo) when the party is just hitting level 5. I will have ways for them to survive, but if they linger too long (2 rounds at most) after realizing what the thing is, they'll all most likely die.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I voted 3, but it ranges from 2 to 6. In normal campaigns it's a 2-4, but for the good old fashioned dungeon crawl I will ramp up to 6.

For example, in WoTC's remake featuring Strahd, I wiped out three parties before they gave up.

The illusion their characters can die is much more important than actual character deaths.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
#4.

Kill them all.

I like to really challenge my PCs.

...You were being humorous there, right? "I decided to give Ben a real challenge for team captain. So I killed him."

I voted 2. I don't like PCs dying if they're doing things mostly right, and especially don't like to see characters die from bad luck, and I have fudged NPC tactics in who gets attacked to keep PCs alive before. That said, i still make my fights hard in every other way, and any encounter i bother taking the time to design and think about (instead of just pulling monster x out of a book), the fight tends to be arduous and painful. Ideally, I bring some characters to the brink, without actually killing them.

lachrymite

First Post
To be 100% honest, I'd have to say 2. But I definately try to create the illusion that it's anywhere from 3 to 5. Some games I pull this off better than others. I've found that as long as the players think or feel that their characters are in danger, the enjoyment is high. However, behind the screen, it's all smoke and mirrors.

This is pretty much my philosophy as well.

I don't feel like either bad planning or bad dice rolls should be enough to kill players off on their own.

Good planning + good dice rolls = Total success
Good planning + bad dice rolls = Difficult but success
Dumb planning + good dice rolls = Difficult but success
Dumb planning + bad dice rolls = Death

At all times, however, I will try to adjust the encounter for dramatic effect. I will play opponents more ruthlessly and tactically if the players are doing extremely well in order to maintain the tension, but if they're having a tough time I'll go quite a bit easier on them. I will never, ever, just kill off a player due to bad luck and rolling if they didn't do anything stupid.

green slime

First Post
I voted a 5, but maybe 4.5 would be more appropriate

Because life is tough for the PC's. THe campaign is more political, and although I don't go out of my way to kill the PC's, the players are given tough choices, and the fights are tough. My players don't want to be pampered; they want to succeed on their own merits.

XP is awarded for completing challenges, which are not always battles. If the situation deteriorates to a fight, the players are worried. Combat is dangerous. In a world where most opponents are intelligent, surrender is almost always an option.

Because of the paranoia present in the campaign, (the players are uncertain of each others motives), achieving personal goals is difficult, and gaining friends and allies to your cause is important. Knowing who to trust, and deciding whom is worthy of your trust, are vital aspects.

Shabe

First Post
I run my campaigns at a 3, no fudging of dice.

The campaign i play in seems to be mostly a 1 with the rare occurance of a 5. The fights are either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard and there are many things to run away from and there are no ways to ressurect people. All i wish for is a challenging fight, one that is fair and we stand a chance against.
A monster that hits you on a 2 does equal this in my opinion, especially if it can full attack for all your hits.

gargoyle2k7

First Post
My choice is 3, but let me define: I believe in challenging the group, and thus build encounters based on the group's strengths and weaknesses. Some of my encounters may be considered hardcore to some gamers, while others might be considered milquetoast. In general, I don't try to kill my players, unless they are foolish. I fudge die rolls and rules from time to time, but only to keep up story and challenge. What it really takes is knowing your players, and keeping them entertained.

Remove ads