D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Vael

Legend
Last session was pretty good, despite challenges. I'm currently running Dragon Heist, and I sped through Chapter 2, skipping a lot while the party had fun setting up the Trollskull manor into a proper tavern. They had a grand opening party two weeks ago, and I let them level up early with the thought of having some of the complications of running a tavern echo later through the adventure. But a few PCs were late, and not wanting to set off the Fireball that signals the start of Chapter 3 while we weren't all present, I introduced their rival tavern and the wererat gang that is sabotaging them. Led to some fun moments with the PCs all scattered over the area. Everyone had a blast, and when the latecomers joined in, I ended the session with a cliffhanger Fireball.

Richards

Legend
I got to rip out the throats of two enemies with my teeth, so that was a plus. I'm certainly not regretting taking Improved Natural Attack (teeth) as my second feat! (I'm running a lizardfolk PC in a 3.5 game; my first feat was Multiattack.) But we ended the session kind of lost, as in we kind of think we know the general area we got teleported to (and it's still probably somewhere on our map), but we'll have to wander around a bit until we hit some landmarks to figure out exactly where we are and how to get back on track to where we want to go.

Oh, and we're now in tundra conditions. My lizardfolk is not entirely thrilled with that.

Johnathan

Libramarian

Adventurer
Yesterday for the first time I ran a dungeon with Roll20's Dynamic Lighting turned on. Wow! I was impressed.

I had heard the prep for it was onerous, but it wasn't bad at all; only ~15 minutes per level to put the walls on the map.

I had RL timers going for torches and the lights went out during the climactic battle of the session. Great moment!

I can recommend it to anyone running games on Roll20 right now who hasn't tried that feature yet.

We celebrated the 3rd anniversary of our campaign, currently at 87 sessions, with the player characters reaching 14th level. They earned enough XP from the last adventure that they're actually on the cusp of 15th level. It's the longest lasting campaign I've run by a significant margin.

It was an entire session of roleplaying and debate among the players as to their next steps. The characters are close to defeating the Zhentarim, Manshoon, and his army of clones. However, Manshoon still has a few tricks up his sleeve. This gets complicated, so buckle up.

First, Manshoon approached the halfling bard with a proposal. The bard was alone, having teleported to Waterdeep hoping to find a safe spot for the Orb of Dragonkind the party had recently obtained. He discovered that Waterdeep had been conquered by frost giants under the secret direction of Manshoon. Also, the bard's brother has now been installed as Open Lord of Waterdeep -- again, with the hidden aid of Manshoon.

Unknown to the rest of the party, the bard's soul is actually trapped in Hell, and his body is currently occupied by an agent of Glasya, daughter of Asmodeus. Manshoon knows all of this and wants to make the bard his ally. Manshoon tells the bard that he knows it's only a matter of time before the frost giants are defeated and Waterdeep liberated. He wants the bard to defeat his brother and become Open Lord. Manshoon will betray his allies and help the party. In return, he wants the bard to secretly advance the Zhentarim's agenda once he becomes Open Lord.

The bard says he'll think it over...

Second, the party's tiefling sorcerer is the offspring of a union between Manshoon and Glasya. Manshoon visits the sorcerer in a vision. He tells her that at this very moment, he has conquered Blackstaff Tower, captured Vajra Safahr, and is commencing a ritual to transfer his soul into the Blackstaff. He wants the sorcerer to lead the party to Blackstaff Tower and defeat his minions. Then he wants her to kill him. Unknown to anyone but the two of them, his soul will live on in the Blackstaff. By day, the sorcerer will be the mistress of Blackstaff Tower. By night, she will lead the Zhentarim. Together, they will rule the North as father and daughter.

The sorcerer says she'll think it over...

I had roleplayed this in full view of all the players. While I'm trying to turn the characters against each other, I don't want to turn the players against each other. There are pros and cons to playing my hand with all the cards facing up. We'll see how it goes.

The rest of the session was the players debating what to do about all of the above.

Nebulous

Legend
We are making pretty good progress in FoF and CoS. I have been doing recaps and wanted to get a little buffer of sessions before I start posting online. I will probably start with FoF. Also, for those that follow my recaps, would you be interested in seeing the Dungeon World recaps or do you prefer D&D?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My last session was... sticky.

Meaning, we ran into a whole mess of blights, and pig-wizards. Sticky wicket and all that.

atanakar

Hero
During the day the PCs negotiated an alliance with the son of a rival Duke by proving a third side is in cahoots with demons. They hope to attack the demon worshipping baron from two fronts in the Spring.

At night, a Cambion, in the guise of the Duke's son, charmed the leader of the party. A female fighter who had eyes on the son of the Duke (disadvantage). He tried to take her away but she failed her climb check out the window of the inn and fell two stories on the ground. The commotion woke the other PCs. There was a battle. The Cambion was killed and the fighter's ego was more bruised than her armour. One question remains. Was the son of the Duke really there during the negotiations or was it the Cambion?
:D

Reynard

Legend
TPK. Or, close enough to it.

The characters were veterans of Out of the Abyss that had come to Waterdeep and begun delving the deeper levels of Dungeon of the Mad Mage. They met their end in Vanrakdoom, in no small part because one party member totally Leroy Jenkinsed the shadow dragon even after the party cleric started a parley. The vampire queen lady had fled to the dragon's lair when nearly defeated by the party. The battle was hard fought but the dragon and its showy minions took down one PC at a time until only the Necromancer PC remained (mostly because of resistance to necrotic damage). it did not hurt than the dragon managed to recharge its breath weapon 3 times in a row.

It was a fun conclusion to an appendix adventure we were playing simply to give higher levels a go and fill in the time on Fantasy grounds since our IRL campaign was on hold. We will play a random 7th level adventure for a couple weeks by another DM in the group while I prep my Eberron campaign.

We are making pretty good progress in FoF and CoS. I have been doing recaps and wanted to get a little buffer of sessions before I start posting online. I will probably start with FoF. Also, for those that follow my recaps, would you be interested in seeing the Dungeon World recaps or do you prefer D&D?
I own Dungeon World but have never played it. The more I read about how to play it, the more spun I get. So I'd love to read about your experience.

Looking forward to Forge of Fury!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases