D&D (2024) How will WOTC monetize One D&D?

My prediction is that one way or another they're going to try to make both a monthly subscription and microtransactions happen. What it will look like, how aggressively they push it, to what degree they will abandon existing business models, how far they will be willing to test customers' loyalty to official content to try to make them pay a monthly fee and microtransact in some capacity, and how committed the actual relevant design teams are to making it happen in an effective way are all very up in the air, but it's coming. There is a fundamental element in this whole OneD&D project of not just doing what they think is good for the game but of doing what will let the people in charge of the game make claims about its future that will look good in a Powerpoint presentation to Hasbro executives who don't really understand these book games of ours but at least think they understand videogames. And monthly subscriptions and microtransactions are the things that will put little executive smiles on those stony executive faces.

But I suspect some of the people actually implementing these things would be even happier if subscriptions and microtransactions mostly failed and banner sales of books meant that nobody really cared, so it may well be attempted in a rather limited and perfunctory manner.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Movies, AAA video games, toys, board games, branded household products, miniatures for the new VTT, subscription to the new VTT.

my guess (and what I would do if I had to do it) is lobster boiling in a pot.

Start with "Oh the book is $50, but you can get it on our stream service electronically for $25" lead to "Oh you can get a subscription for ALL the books this year... there will be 3-5 at $40-$50 each but the subscription is $119.99 for the year or $13.99 per month" then go with "You can add the VTT with all these 2D minis and import monsters right from our books its $4.99 a month of $49.99 a year OR if you already have the $119.99 book sub you can add a year of this at half price and it's only $142.99 per year." then add "Oh we have these rare special monsters not in any book you can only buy online set 1 is $9.99, sets 2 and 3 will both be out later this year OR you can just add all the special monster packs for $19.99 a year"

People who start off with "Hey save half to get it online instead of physical" get turned into $170 a year customers... people who would say "I don't know I don't need all 3 books out this year for $150" will be saying "I got a deal I got my Vtt all my add ons and all those books for ONLY $170"

(Warning all numbers made up and in no way reflect what will or will not happen just kept using them as example)

Scribe

Legend
Your Tabaxi glaive echo knight fighter will cost 5 bucks each for the tabaxi head, snow leapard skin, glaive weapon, cape, and echo effect.
Then if you want to import that to the MMO and tactics game, that $25 dollars each unless you have DNDB Premium.

See now, a fully featured MMO, would get me to subscribe to something, assuming it was actually good. Then fill the cash shop with options like you say here, and your on to something.

Clint_L

Hero
I get paid for running a D&D summer camp, which includes a lot of DMing, but the pay is not great considering the hours that go into it, and I don't want to ask my school to pay me for all the prep time or I'm afraid the camp will become unaffordable. (I got paid $40/hour but I only charged for my hours literally running games with the kids).

But I really like that I can call myself a professional Dungeon Master!

Clint_L

Hero
my guess (and what I would do if I had to do it) is lobster boiling in a pot.

Start with "Oh the book is $50, but you can get it on our stream service electronically for $25" lead to "Oh you can get a subscription for ALL the books this year... there will be 3-5 at $40-$50 each but the subscription is $119.99 for the year or $13.99 per month" then go with "You can add the VTT with all these 2D minis and import monsters right from our books its $4.99 a month of $49.99 a year OR if you already have the $119.99 book sub you can add a year of this at half price and it's only $142.99 per year." then add "Oh we have these rare special monsters not in any book you can only buy online set 1 is $9.99, sets 2 and 3 will both be out later this year OR you can just add all the special monster packs for $19.99 a year"

People who start off with "Hey save half to get it online instead of physical" get turned into $170 a year customers... people who would say "I don't know I don't need all 3 books out this year for $150" will be saying "I got a deal I got my Vtt all my add ons and all those books for ONLY $170"

(Warning all numbers made up and in no way reflect what will or will not happen just kept using them as example)
The thing is...that would be an incredible deal compared to buying physical miniatures and terrain. I have spent upwards of 2k this year (maybe way upwards; I've lost track). So what you described would be all the books PLUS all the terrain and miniatures to run them at a fraction, less than 10%, of what I currently spend.

I enjoy painting and collecting terrain, so I'm not complaining. But if I was younger and more tech savvy, a plan like the one you describe would be an incredible bargain.

If it's anything like this, 5.0 will be the last edition I buy.

That's the whole idea of OneD&D.

Remove ads