How will WOTC prevent "group" memberships to DDI?

Terwox

First Post
Since WotC is not known for being "computer savvy" or even having the support to take care of the products that they have, I'd be surprised if they can figure this out (or maybe it will be the ONE thing that they actually do figure out) Heh.

Jh

Realistically, they are however motivated by profit, and will likely pay someone to figure this out. I'd hope. You'd also think they'd pay someone to meet deadlines, but, eh.

I think worrying that you won't be able to log on from multiple computers is unfounded, however, you may not be able to log in from multiple computers at the same time.

If you've shared an account on any MMO, you've seen the "That character is already in play," or alternatively "You have been disconnected from the server" when someone else logs in with your name. I imagine they will do something similar, unless they want to promote group membership.

Spikenog

First Post
Surely there will be something that does not allow the same account to be signed in twice and therefore making it impossible to use it with a group at the same time.

Now...if the would only release the product so we an play online.

AGFlynn

First Post
You said it Spike -- the real issue here is whether or not WotC can deliver anything, given what we've seen with the E-Tools fiasco.
If things get up and running as promised, though, I would imagine that they will institute some form of simultaneous usage blocking in the hope that people who do play online will want separate accounts.

fba827

Adventurer
I would imagine that technically they can not as it would cause problems for those single users trying to access the site from dynamic IPs or from multiple locations (laptop at home, laptop at work).

I would imagine, however, that their terms of agreement say you can't share your username and password.

Your account may also end up getting 'flagged' in some manner if there is even an attmpt to have your account accessed more than once at the same time from different locations -- so, if you aren't coordinated you could get flagged as violating your user agreement.

But, all that said, I would also imagine that the core hinderance would be that it is the user/pass for all DDI products, so if you want to try playing online and such, you wouldn't all be able to login at once. Or if you want to use the character generator, there would be a point when it would be "full" on your slots from several people trying it over the course of a month (though not at the same time)... that sort of thing.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Limiting access to a single IP is very easy to do, but usually not a smart thing to do (for the reasons already given). And not only for the dynamic IP issue, but what if I took my laptop from my home network and then used it through a friend's home network? It woud change IPs.

Heck, using a mobile phone in a car, your IP can change multiple times when the primary tower you're connected to changes.

Limiting via IP is easy but a stupid thing to do (doesn't mean they won't do it though).

A better way would be to watch the number of times a login is used at once. A single login can allow a group to hand around the laptop to double check rules and wording and browsing the latest issue of Dragon during a break; but it will stop four players from being logged in at the same time. That is how I imagine they will control it.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
A better way would be to watch the number of times a login is used at once. A single login can allow a group to hand around the laptop to double check rules and wording and browsing the latest issue of Dragon during a break; but it will stop four players from being logged in at the same time. That is how I imagine they will control it.

This. I'm guessing if they do limit it, it will simply be that a single account cannot have more than one session at a time. If I'm logged in, and then my buddy sitting across the room logs in using the same account, it ends my session.

No way they try to limit it by IP addy. Too many home users get assigned a dynamic ip through DHCP each time they connect to the internet. And even with an "always on" broadband connection, IP lease expires (I think Bellsouth around here expires it after 24 or 48 hours, can't remember), and you get assigned a new IP addy.

Remove ads