How will you incorporate Essentials?

tyrlaan

Explorer
Title says it all, well almost all of it ;)

Assuming you plan to use Essentials and the associated "errata" that comes along with it (new stat boost options for races, miss effects on wizard encounter powers, etc), how do you plan to incorporate them into your existing game?

Will you let players rebuild their characters completely? Retrofit stats? Retrain powers? Perhaps none of the above and just wait for the next campaign to start? Or start a brand new campaign, ending the current one?

mysticknight232

First Post
As indicated in prior threads, the Essentials line is basically like a "Powers" book for the PHB1 and Druid. I'm not a DM, but I know our group will allow the Essentials stuff just like everything else 4e related. We typically don't allow anybody to rebuild their characters unless they're not happy with their current build. Our group doesn't rebuild every time a Martial Powers book comes out, so there's no reason to change that with the Essential (Powers) Line either. We'll use it just as we use everything else 4e related...that is to say when the time is right, we'll use it. Granted, we plan on starting a Dark Sun campaign, so my guess is that somebody in my group will roll an Essentials character build...it's hard not to since as a group we feel there are some great options there.

the Jester

Legend
I'll add it to my game just like I did Martial Power or PH2.

I certainly don't allow full rebuilds of pcs just because a new book came out.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I'll add it to my game just like I did Martial Power or PH2.

I certainly don't allow full rebuilds of pcs just because a new book came out.
Pretty much this, though I'd allow full rebuilds if it makes sense (e.g the Warlock in my group spent quite a lot of feats to be a decent melee combatant, should the Essentials warlock provide a lot of support for such a build, I'd gladly allow a retooling to match my player's concept better).

Cheers, LT.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I plan on incorporating it into my games like any other new sourcebook. PCs are free to choose material from it and I'll decide which optional rules, if any, I will use from the DM side of the screen.

TirionAnthion

First Post
Essentials changes

Much like others have stated in this thread, I will be incorporating the informatiion into my weekly campaign. I look at it like any other power book.

I have a standing rule that when a rulebook comes out for a power source, or a new PH drops, I allow the players to rebuild. I don't know if any of my players will rebuild after Essentials but I would certainly allow it.

I used to have a very strict policy about rebuilding but my players wanted more flexibility and it does not hurt the game that much. I find a story device to explain the changes and the game goes on. Sometimes we play it for laughs like in The Gamers:
<Poof>
DM: "The Human Warlock suddenly changes into a Dwarven Battlemind."
Players: "You seem trustworthy, would you like to join are party."

BobTheNob

First Post
With regards to "just adding to game" I am wondering how well that will work. I know WOTC have given there assurances, but the builds of Essentials have defied some real scared cows of 4e and Im just not convinced.

But really, how can any of us make plans till we know what the rules really are?

Our group is looking for simplification. Im the only "power player" and Im the DM! I need an easier time of it and the players need simpler rules. We have "a good chance" of changing over, but I wont say that I am planning it.

Remove ads