How would you build these characters?

Greg K

Legend
How would you build the following characters from film and television in 4e?

Taarna the Tarakian (Heavy Metal)

Galen (Dragonslayer)

Phillipe Gaston (Ladyhawke)
Captain Etienne Navarre (Ladyhawke)
Isabeau d' Anjou (Ladyhawke)
Bishop of Aquila (Ladyhawke)

Dar (Beastmaster (Movie Version))
Kiri (Beastmaster (Movie Version))
Seth (Beastmaster (Movie Version))

Dar (Beastmaster (TV Version))
Tao (Beastmaster (TV Version))
Sorceress (Beastmaster (TV Version))
New Sorceress (Beastmaster (TV Version))
Curupira (Beastmaster (TV Version))
Iara (Beastmaster (TV Version))

Richard Cypher (Legend of the Seeker)
Kahlan (Legend of the Seeker)
Zed (Legend of the Seeker)

And, if anyone has the following:

Toran of Malveel (Archer: Fugitive From the Empire)
Estra the Enchantress (Archer: Fugitive From the Empire)
Slant the Drushian (Archer: Fugitive From the Empire)

malcolm_n

Adventurer
I'll assume you'd prefer these top to bottom, so I'll start with Taarna. I went with Half-orc because all of the mechanics for it fit. She just happens to also be sexy.[sblock=Taarna the Tarakian]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Taarna the Tarakian, level 26
Half-Orc, Rogue, Kensei, Invincible Vanguard
Build: Brawny Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Brutal Scoundrel
Rogue: Rogue Weapon Talent
Student of the Sword: Student of One-Handed Weapons
Kensei Focus: Kensei Focus Bastard sword
Background: Auspicious Birth, Half-Orc - Stormtouched, Blademaster, Occupation - Punisher (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 26, Con 12, Dex 26, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 41 Fort: 35 Reflex: 37 Will: 29
HP: 188 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 47

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +26, Thievery +26, Intimidate +30, Perception +19, Acrobatics +26, Athletics +28, Endurance +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +14, Heal +14, History +13, Insight +14, Nature +14, Religion +13, Streetwise +15

FEATS
Level 1: Student of the Sword
Level 2: Versatile Duelist
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Anger Unleashed
Level 11: Strong-Arm Tactics
Level 12: Unrelenting Assault
Level 14: Strength From Pain
Level 16: Backstabber
Level 18: Menacing Thug
Level 20: Slaying Action
Level 21: Ferocious Critical
Level 22: Heavy Blade Mastery
Level 24: Power Attack
Level 26: Toughness

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Duelist's Flurry
Rogue at-will 1: Riposte Strike
Rogue encounter 1: One-Two Punch
Rogue daily 1: Press the Advantage
Rogue utility 2: Tumble
Rogue encounter 3: Maneuvering Strike
Rogue daily 5: Bloodbath
Rogue utility 6: Swift Parry
Rogue encounter 7: Leg-Breaker
Rogue daily 9: Crimson Edge
Rogue utility 10: Executioner's Mien
Rogue encounter 13: Wicked Reminder (replaces One-Two Punch)
Rogue daily 15: Arterial Slice (replaces Bloodbath)
Rogue utility 16: Anticipate Attack (Rogue)
Rogue encounter 17: Dragon Tail Strike (replaces Maneuvering Strike)
Rogue daily 19: Blood Squall (replaces Crimson Edge)
Rogue utility 22: Killer's Instinct
Rogue encounter 23: Tendon Tear (replaces Leg-Breaker)
Rogue daily 25: Shocking Execution (replaces Press the Advantage)

ITEMS
Belt of the Brawler (heroic tier), Vicious Bastard sword +6, Magic Starleather Armor +6, Tattoo of Vengeance (epic tier), Bracers of Mighty Striking (epic tier), Brooch of Vitality +4, Wyvern, Boots of the Giantkind (paragon tier), War Ring (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am a serious fan of the Seeker. When we were considering how to handle the sword of truth series I was obcessing on uber accuracy and could not be satisfied I would also like to see them.

I was thinking Tarna might be an appropriate Avenger after all that is her job power source and all even if she is quite martially skinned ... but I was maybe thinking her minion clearing ability would make her a better fighter ;p perhaps I should write up a competing rendition.

Avengers are the right armor class for her I think also. She might be wearing leather but honestly the coverage makes it equivalent of cloth.

Heck years ago.. I saw tarna and said paladin.. holy sword... fated reincarnating hero who destroys the ultimate evil. She could even be deva.

Last edited:

malcolm_n

Adventurer
At one time before I started character concepts as a project, I built Richard Rahl as a Deva Avenger mc Paladin. His mastery of the sword and his inherent magicks seemed to better relate to the build that way.

I'm actually not very familiar with HM; I watched it last night and read a synopsis of the character so I could get a feel for who she was. I am in no way emotionally attached to who she is and what she can do, so I'd totally pass it off to somebody else willing to build her. I'll probably even borrow the build if it gets enough good responses so I can have a more acurate portrayal of her.

Interestingly, the build I had above kept screaming to me that it should be Uma Thurman as the Bride from Kill Bill. Maybe I'll revamp it a bit for that and throw in an MC Monk with the MC background

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
tarrna.jpg

My Tarna the Tarakian Avenger
[sblock=Tarna, level 1]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Tarna the Tarakian, level 1
Deva, Avenger
Build: Isolating Avenger
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Retribution
Background: Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy, Last of the Breed, Auspicious Birth, Geography - Desert, Foundling, Ward of the Temple (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 10, Dex 9, Int 15, Wis 20, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 10, Dex 9, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 13 Will: 16
HP: 34 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +9, Endurance +5, Intimidate +5, Athletics +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Arcana +2, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +5, Nature +5, Perception +5, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery -1

FEATS
Level 1: Battle Intuition

POWERS
Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger at-will 1: Focused Fury
Avenger encounter 1: Relentless Attack
Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might

====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]

I am not happy with the deva race exactly... but it does have pretty nice connection and works for an avenger as well.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
hmmm just realized I gave her the focused fury out of habit (Characters ought to have ranged capability). I may have to rethink that.

She tends to move methodically not quickly - low dex is fine.

Hmmm yup Avenger feels real nice.. that weapon is definitely some very sharp holy blade. She does some invocation in flight over the volcano to destroy a very potent manifestation of ultimate evil single handedly.(and it was disrupted across multiple time lines).

My son thought that scene partook of a blood mage spending there hit points on a daily.... self sacrifice paradigm.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
how do we put youtube videos in line ?

After re-watching a bit of it I am really wanting a mutlitarget attack for hitting minions with (ala cleave) ... wonder how to sneak that in with the rest of the Avenger feeling stuff.

Perhaps a fighter / avenger she will be stronger less optimal but might work out

Taarna the Tarakian, level 1
Human, Avenger|Fighter
Hybrid Avenger: Hybrid Avenger Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Armor of Faith
Background: Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy, Ward of the Temple, Monastic (Erathis), Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 9, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 10, Dex 9, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 15 Reflex: 14 Will: 14
HP: 30 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +8, Intimidate +5, Endurance +5, Athletics +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Arcana +2, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Nature +3, Religion +2, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery -1

FEATS
Human: Hybrid Talent
Level 1: Oath Strike

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Cleave
Hybrid at-will 1: Focused Fury
Hybrid at-will 1: Slash and Pummel
Hybrid encounter 1: Whirlwind Charge
Hybrid daily 1: Aspect of Might

hmm

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
Hey guys,
Thanks. I like the different takes (and, if anyone else wants to take a shot feel free).

malcom_n, the order I listed them in is not really important. I wrote them down as I recalled them and, then, just tried to group by film and tv.

Greg K

Legend
Heck years ago.. I saw tarna and said paladin.. holy sword... fated reincarnating hero who destroys the ultimate evil. She could even be deva.

For a homebrew setting, I renamed her and turned her into a deity. There was a whole paladin order built around her (actually, she was the only deity for paladins).

These days, from what I know as I give 4e a second look, I would use a different class or an mc.

And, yeah, the bloodline moving to someone else after her death- made me, immediately, think deva ( I am not too familar with the 4e backgrounds).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Avengers are one of the Inheritors of the Paladin. Invokers are arguably inheritors of both the Wizard and Cleric... basically a nod to the fact that historically one mans witch was his adversaries sainted miracle worker.

I built her human the second time for the benefits in a hybrid basicall that extra at-will and initial feat... picking an appropriate background can take the place of the Deva race for the passing of the flame on death... and the hybrid feat really is a must have ... I might start with wary fighter instead of Oath strike.. to get that perception based initiative ;p.

Slash and pommel isnt strictly necessary ... cleave works fine for visualizing punching one guy and slashing another she definitely does some punching ... and to better use her Oath abilities perhaps a more mobile Avenger at will might be better.

For higher levels that death knell strike with a cost is something I am thinking about... any ideas Malcom?

Last edited:

Remove ads