• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 How would you change domain spell lists in 3.5?

Najo

First Post
So, I'm curious about what players think about the domain spells lists in D&D 3.5. Which spells don't fit? What spells should take their place? What domains feel like they are missing? What domains should be removed or altered? How would you improve the domains and how clerics class powers are granted by those domains?

Share your thoughts about 3.5 domains!

delericho

Legend
Given infinite time, I think I'd switch back to 2nd Edition style Spheres, with different gods granting Minor or Major access to different spheres based on their areas of interest.

Given a bit less time, I'd be inclined to drop Domains entirely, just roll them into the main Cleric list, but require Clerics to learn individual spells as Wizards do. So, a Cleric of a god of fire is just one who knows a whole bunch of fire-related spells.

But failing both of those, Domains aren't actually too bad - they do a decent job of distinguishing Clerics of different gods without adding too much complexity to the game. The only domains I think are really under-represented are those to do with non-adventuring things like home & hearth... but those are probably of pretty limited interest for most gamers anyway.

Yora

Legend
I would also prefer something sphere-like, with a basic cleric spell list, and additional domain-spell lists with spells not normally available to all clerics.. So each cleric would have a somewhat different spell list from which they can prepare spells as normal. Domain spell bonus slots would be irrelevant.

Ahnehnois

First Post
To me, the thing that makes clerics work is spontaneous casting (presented officially in UA). In this case, the domain is just added to your list of spells known, and each cleric has a more specific focus that he can better fulfill as a consequence.

I also think domains need some higher level powers like in PF to make their meaning hold until high levels.

No spheres for me. I like an element of predictability.

At the very least, all PC clerics would gain access to certain spheres, including healing. So I guess that's pretty close to what Yora is saying.

If you're playing a death priest who logically shouldn't heal, you're basically playing a variant wizard and should look at some kind of invoker-like class instead. And if you're playing a cleric of Sune (a love cleric) who can't fight and whose only healing powers are 15 minute long tantric rituals, perhaps you've built a character who shouldn't even be adventuring.

Pathfinder domain abilities (not the spells) have been pretty beefed up, with quite a few giving spell-like abilities to low-level clerics. Air, for instance, lets you zap people with a little bit of lightning at level 1, usually 5-8 times per day, depending on starting Wisdom score. Some of the domains had pretty lame abilities though.

Remove ads