How would you make a canal city work as a fantasy RPG setting?

Voadam

Legend
It could have a history of being designed to defend against vampires.

Or it could have a secret vampire prison where the canals are the prison walls.

Or it could enable actually using the vampire running water weakness.

The Lies of Locke Lamora takes place in a canal city - it's an excellent read in any case, but it would be worthwhile for mining for RPG ideas as well.

Johnathan
I also thoroughly recommend that book.

It's certainly the best book I've ever read for insults which canal users might hurl as they cut each other up in traffic (unless the bit about "and your cows look so disappointed" was in one of the sequels?)

Canal cities look cool, but are they suitable for fantasy RPG settings?

Is there a way to have extensive dungeons?

What sort of basic setting assumptions follow from having a canal city?

Are there things having a canal city would enable? Are there things it would limit?
I don’t see why you can’t have one as they exist in real life. I would probably research real world canal settlements and incorporate the logic behind them as well as you can. I would also think a canal system would work very well as an explanation for the presence of dungeons in the area.

I am sure there are plenty of benefits but water access to the whole city would definitely probably impact things like trade. You may s as Leo have pretty advanced water engineering around it (including things like the ability to manipulate water levels and clever water gate systems). i would think flooding would be a downside

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, yes, if a lot of it was under water, it would be...
giphy.gif

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
15th century Venice is an awesome setting...

Though, a note - Venice proper, the place we always think of with Saint Mark's, the Grand Canal, the Rialto Bridge, and the Doge's Palace is probably smaller than folks think. It is about 2.75 miles long, and 1.6 miles wide. There's also bunch of stuff on the nearby islands spread across the Venetian Lagoon that is part of the municipality, but much of it is 5+ miles away over open water. You'd not be taking gondolas between them.

For comparison, Manhattan is like 10 miles long and over 2 miles wide.

Mad_Jack

Legend
One general thing to remember about canal cities is that they don't necessarily need to be sitting out in open water, or even be stationary - a canal city sitting in the middle of a huge swamp or salt marsh would have an entirely different feel than one like Venice (especially if you go for an older or less technologically advanced feel), and you could also have an "island" canal city that's not actually anchored to the bottom of the water below it - maybe it actually floats around on a natural or magical current... Having an adventure to try to stop some villain from cutting or blowing up the huge iron cables that temporarily (or permanently) anchor the city in place would be cool.

On a different note - what if your canal city wasn't just built on top of older structures from a few decades or centuries earlier in the same city's history? What if it sits on top of an even older city (or cities) that also sank?

Random thought - what if the original city was actually built on the sea bottom by an aquatic people who just kept building and building until they hit the surface? And then land-dwellers eventually came and lived in their abandoned (?) city, and as the crushing pressures of the sea depths eventually began crumbling the lowest levels of the aquatic city and the whole thing began slowly sinking over the millennia the land-dwellers simply began building more and more buildings on top of the old ones, thus making the whole thing sink even faster? :unsure:

And tying that back to the first thought about the floating city - what if the city wasn't originally built as a floating city? And whatever used to be underneath it is simply gone? (What happened to it? Why does the remaining city float?)

Last edited:

Remove ads