• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Would You Make a D&D Movie?

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Look at Transformers and use that formula.

Classic 80s Hasbro property that needed a modern update. They took the basics of the premise and a few of the characters and then pretty much reinvented the entire concept for a broader appeal.

So, for a D&D movie, some creative license needs to be given in order to give it a broader appeal. Take some of the iconic elements of D&D, like dragons, beholders and mind flayers, throw in some heroes of some sort that don't necessarily align perfectly with the game's character classes or even races, and a summer movie plot and a whole mess of special effects.

renau1g

First Post
Special effects will be key, all the monsters will be SFX, all the magic will be SFX.... need to hire a 30th level effects guy ;)

knightofround

First Post
I dunno, I think I'm gonna have to go with the original poster and go for the Princess Bride-esque scenario. I think the broader appeal of D&D is the playful, comedic, jocular side of the game. If anyone here has seen Dr Horrible's Singalong blog, I would love to see something along those lines, replacing science with fantasy. And keeping Joss Whedon and Felicia Day. Mmmm Felicia Day....

Tinner

First Post
Characters first, then build a world and story around them.
LotR wasn't just a success because it mined Tolkien. Jackson made us care about these plucky little hobbits. The only reason Orlando Bloom has a career is because Peter Jackson made us care about this Legolas guy.

So come up with a band of adventurers we care about. Give us the cast of Firefly, or even the Order of the Stick. Give them quirks and foibles and all manner of personality disorders.

Once you have your characters, they will direct how the story should go.

I like the Eberron idea, because it would be wildly different from what people expect from a "fantasy movie."

Imp

First Post
• a good fantasy adventure story
• a few fun heroes
• a dungeon
• a dragon
• a scene with green slime
• and no mention of "Dungeons and Dragons" at all.

If it has memorable scenes with stuff you can play in the game, there's your tie-in.

Demmero

Explorer
Have the D&D characters in the movie be pirtates and then promote the movie as "Lord of the Rings Meets Pirates of the Caribbean!" Instant blockbuster!

CountPopeula

First Post
Direct to Video Animation. It's a growing market, and more people will probably see it this way than otherwise. Marvel and DC are doing pretty well going this route.

Remove ads