D&D 5E How would you rule on this Dispell Magic?

Harzel

Adventurer
On your 8a, an invisible creature not attempting to be stealth flying within 20', especially at double normal walking speed, in heavy armor, should be noticed. The way not to be noticed is to use the hide action. I might ask for a perception check to identify the space the flying, invisible creature is in (absent the visible flying wand, natch), but to be aware of a creature moving through the room? Nope, you get that because the invisible flying creature is not attempting to be stealthy, just invisible.

Yes, I phrased it too tentatively. There would have to be some significant extenuating circumstance for her to not notice.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
8. I don't know what this ruling is in response to. As a DM, I certainly would not spontaneously blurt this out. One thing that has not been clarified is what (if anything) the player of the wizard* asserted about what the wizard PC knew. As for the ruling itself, "the wand is not flying on its own and the wand is carried by a magical effect caused by a spell and not an inherent magical ability" is a bit vague. I can't quite tell whether that excludes a spell cast on the wand itself or not. I'll assume it does exclude that.
8a. Something not mentioned is that it is possible that the wizard will notice that there is an invisible creature involved. With a 15' ceiling, even with the wizard being a halfing, that is not that much clearance if the flyer passes overhead or nearly overhead. If the flyer comes within, let's say, 20 ft. of the wizard, she may get some kind of Perception check to see if she notices. It will depend on how the conversation about what the PC knows goes and exactly what is happening in the room. If she notices that there is an invisible creature, then a lot of things change after this.
I guess part of the clearance issue depends on how you assume the knight is flying: perfectly vertical like Magneto or horizontal like Superman. I don't know why anyone would do the former if there was a chance to host someone on the floor you were trying to avoid.
And it's a huge room since 50+ people are in it.

9. What? The wizard says, "stop it"? I thought that "stop it" was part of the player's action declaration for the wizard, as in, "I cast Dispel Magic to stop it" or "I stop it by casting Dispel Magic". I really need to know what the player's action declaration was. I'll assume it's, "I stop it by casting Dispel Magic".
Player of wizard states she wants to stop it with dispel magic.

11. To me, this assumption (not asking for clarification) precludes a good adjudication. If I nevertheless had to, I guess there are a couple ways this could go.
  • If nothing had been said about what the wizard believed (it's still a little unclear what actually happened in that regard), then I would have only the wizard player's action declaration to go on. If it was, "I stop it by casting Dispel Magic", then the only possible target explicitly mentioned is "it", referring to the wand. So the spell is cast on the wand and nothing happens.
  • If I take the somewhat vague description of what the wizard believed to mean that she did not think that there was a spell in effect on the wand itself, then she would not cast Dispel on the wand. But I'm still in doubt about what effect she thinks she is choosing. To me, the most obvious description based on her action declaration would be "an effect that is causing the wand to move". Unfortunately for the wizard, there is no such effect - Fly enables flying, but does not actually cause movement.** If I'm will to stretch the implied description to "an effect that is enabling the wand to fly", then Fly is dispelled, but that's a real stretch IMO. All that said, I don't see any way that the Invisibility to get dispelled.
That sounds about how I'd do it.

* By the way, is she a wizard or a bard? One time you seemed to say she was a bard. Not that it makes any difference.
** No, I'm not usually that lawyer-like. But in addition to being in a situation full of hypotheticals, there is PvP going on and so I would feel a need to be assiduously fair to both sides.
[/QUOTE]
She was a bard, but so any people kept calling her a wizard it wasn't worth changing.

Remove ads