D&D 5E How would you wish WOTC to do Dark Sun

Mercurius

Legend
For whatever reason, among the early AD&D/BECMI-era settings, FR has stood the test of time, while Greyhawk, Mystara, and Dragonlance have all largely been shelved. A cynical view is that this only because WotC has thrown its weight behind the Realms, but then the question is, why? I think it has to do with qualities intrinsic to the setting: it just works better than the others for the default of D&D.

So, love it or hate it, the Realms is king for a reason.

jasper

Rotten DM
Being nice. 1. Hey which one you 3rd party companies want to publish this as an UNofficial setting. Not Nice. 1. Open Burn pit. Toss all dark sun material in. Close pit. 2. Ban anyone who mention "DS" from the forums.

R_J_K75

Legend
For whatever reason, among the early AD&D/BECMI-era settings, FR has stood the test of time, while Greyhawk, Mystara, and Dragonlance have all largely been shelved.

I've never read any of the Dragonlance novels or played in the setting so I really don't know the comparison of number of game products or the timeline of when Dragonlance novels stopped being published but I'm going to hazard a guess that FRs popularity is probably directly related in part to its novels. That and its a good setting as far as Im concerned. Besides forays here and there into other campaigns, the majority of my games have taken place there since the mid 90s.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Dark Sun is my favourite 2E setting and I'd love to see it in 5E, but I think it would be considered too problematic nowadays.

It's literally based on mature themes that would make a contemporary political correctness consultant jump on his chair. Slavery. Abuse. Racism.
I hear this point brought up a lot, but everyone I’ve ever known who cares about such things as sensitivity and inclusiveness in D&D love Dark Sun. Contrary to what some people think, there isn’t a woke-brigade who doesn’t want any mature or controversial content in media (for the most part, I’m sure there are a few extreme folks out there, but they’re a tiny minority). A lot of people are just conscious of the messages our media sends. And the messages Dark Sun sends are generally quite positive. It has strong environmentalist themes and strong anti-authoritarian themes, and while there is a lot of systemic oppression depicted. the PCs are usually part of the oppressed groups and fighting against the systems of oppression.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
See OP, he hopes for paladins, gnomes and everything running around in FR to show up including Volo himself. Sorry that ain't rock'n'roll to me.
But it is hopeless, you cannot explain the feeling of the original Darksun to newer generations, they did not experience it back then when it came out.
Apologies. I was trying to be funny. I Failed. I think from your comments we probably actually share a lot of the same views on Dark Sun apart from I do want them to keep trying so we can get it soon.

Danzauker

Adventurer
For whatever reason, among the early AD&D/BECMI-era settings, FR has stood the test of time, while Greyhawk, Mystara, and Dragonlance have all largely been shelved. A cynical view is that this only because WotC has thrown its weight behind the Realms, but then the question is, why? I think it has to do with qualities intrinsic to the setting: it just works better than the others for the default of D&D.

So, love it or hate it, the Realms is king for a reason.

I'd dare to say that it's continued success is tightly bound to that of the novels, videogames and other "ancillary" material, plus the fact that it's already a cauldron for everything but the kitchen sink, so adding your own material is easy.

Dragonlance had their share of high success novels, of course, but unfortunately for the setting it was not replicated for the material after the War of the Lance saga (although I know there are good reviewed game sources).

That's a common destiny for many story heavy settings. anything you try to do after the original storyline must fight with it, and in many cases bothers fans more than attracts new ones. FR managed to avoid it to some extent.

Orcslayer78

Explorer
I hear this point brought up a lot, but everyone I’ve ever known who cares about such things as sensitivity and inclusiveness in D&D love Dark Sun. Contrary to what some people think, there isn’t a woke-brigade who doesn’t want any mature or controversial content in media (for the most part, I’m sure there are a few extreme folks out there, but they’re a tiny minority). A lot of people are just conscious of the messages our media sends. And the messages Dark Sun sends are generally quite positive. It has strong environmentalist themes and strong anti-authoritarian themes, and while there is a lot of systemic oppression depicted. the PCs are usually part of the oppressed groups and fighting against the systems of oppression.
Wotc recent statements and changes to decades of lore prove exactly the contrary.

Remove ads