How's the Love?

Sir Elton

First Post
How do you deal with Love in your games? Love is a tricky emotion, fear is easier to inspire than Love, but how do you deal with it? Do any characters in your game get married? What about dating? That kind of thing?

Torment

First Post
There's an ex-prostitute turned pirate that's probably falling in love with a character IMC.

You know whats awkward. Talking to one of my friend (a guy) like a lady (i have a deep voice) expressing her feelings for him. I'm probably just going to do that part on the message board. But yeah it is tricky. It does add realism though I guess. And whole new dimension of roleplaying (oh, look at that your girlfriend is now the one those pirates kidnapped... not random NPC #15)

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
Torment said:
There's an ex-prostitute turned pirate that's probably falling in love with a character IMC.

You know whats awkward. Talking to one of my friend (a guy) like a lady (i have a deep voice) expressing her feelings for him. I'm probably just going to do that part on the message board. But yeah it is tricky. It does add realism though I guess. And whole new dimension of roleplaying (oh, look at that your girlfriend is now the one those pirates kidnapped... not random NPC #15)

I'm not saying it hasn't happened in my games (heck, PCs have fathered children and gotten married in a few of them), but it is awkward and mostly left to the background.

Best quote on the subject from one of my games:

The PCs enter a brothel to question one of the "ladies" for an investigation. One of the PCs jokingly asks another PC, a Paladin, "so, you want to sample the wares?" To which the Paladin's player replied, "Nah, I'm saving myself...for a political marriage!"

Not a dry eye in the house.

eris404

Explorer
It's pretty chaste in my group. Sometimes NPCs get crushes on the characters - while DMing I had an NPC recite bad love poetry to a PC once. But generally we keep it low-key or use it for comic relief. :)

Shades of Green

First Post
Depends on how mature the players are - and how interested in such matters. also, smaller groups are usually more fitting to such things than larger ones, as love affairs center on one player at a time and tend to involve alot of conversation. In a small-group or, even better, a one-on-one game, though, this could work very well if the palyer is mature and up to it.

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
Sir Elton said:
How do you deal with Love in your games? Love is a tricky emotion, fear is easier to inspire than Love, but how do you deal with it? Do any characters in your game get married? What about dating? That kind of thing?

If someone insisted on that kind of things in my game, a save vs. disease would be most they get out of me :)

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Given that my wife is my only player right now, it comes up pretty consistently, often as a major plot thread.

When we have had groups, the awkward factor of "playing" a female NPC attracted to a male PC is a hindrance. I get around that by switching to a "3rd person" description of what the NPC is doing or saying.

I have had two PCs get married in a campaign. The psion PC slipped an elixir of love to the Ogre PC and he fell for the PC Druid. They roleplayed it to the hilt and the emotions didn't wear off when the elixir did. After a brief courtship, they married, even though he was an ogre and she was a black bear (3.0 reincarnation...luckily she was also a shifter from Masters of the Wild so she could take humanoid and even giant shapes on a regular basis).

I always attempt to get PCs immersed and involved in the setting, whether that be through NPC family members, friends, love interests or whatever. Love is a potential adventure hook.

Quentin

balterkn

First Post
I've handled the major relationships typically between sessions.

Most sessions are committed to adventuring time, the between session emails and talks over coffee are for background character development.

That said, the best relationship (in a group with 5 PCs), was when the group's wizard saved a woman (M'tilde from Hot Day in L'Trel (sp?) modified for Longspear in Greyhawk). He kept track of her and her baby through the long month and helped get M'tilde more active as a character (given her prior military background). Eventually she agreed to be a henchman/cohort when the group moved on to Greyhawk City. After several adventures on the road, and the constant attention of the wizard (no romance on-screen), the player thought it would be good to have them marry. We set up some things in our down-time, and in a few game-months (just a few sessions in real time), we had them marry. His continued help (and various plot hooks) end up with her establishing the guild in Greyhawk for tailors as one of the more significant guilds. She was an outlet for the PCs desire for politics (as a major guild leader, she was on the council), and the players had a hook into politics, but got to keep their preferred focus in adventuring (dungeon dives and wars).

Generally she helps out the wizard as often as he helps her out. It takes some restraint to not have her be a strict liability for the party (of course, fortifying their home and hiring guards for M'Tilde helps), but was generally fun.

Again, not much game-time romance, the between-game discussions were more of the "what does she want/need/etc" variety - kept us from role palying a m/f relationship when we were both males (and likely both would have been a little uncomfortable).

kenobi65

First Post
In almost every campaign I've ever played in, in-character romance has come up pretty frequently. We've had PCs get married to other PCs, PCs get married to NPCs, PCs having kids, etc. We've had sessions where weddings took place. Sometimes, romance winds up driving the plot (i.e., your NPC lover gets kidnapped), but, more often, it's just character-development.

I would point out that, in almost all of these groups, there was a mix of male and female players; I think that plays a part in it. The few all-male groups I've been in, the only time the topic ever even came up would be in joking reference to "OK, we get into town, I hit the brothel."

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I've seen PC/PC love done before (a love quadrangle involving most of the group - it only stopped being fun when it started leaking out into Real Life), but with NPCs, it hasn't come up too often. In my online Freelance Police game, there was one character who fell in love with an NPC (they were both shifters, they both fought crime, it was a match made in Siberis), and the majority of that relationship played off-camera.

Demiurge out.

Remove ads