D&D 5E Hs anyone else noticed this shifter wrinkle?

Fanaelialae

Legend
I don't think it's bad at all, except maybe compared to Beasthide (which is quite good). How often are you honestly going to bite someone as a Longtooth?

There are plenty of conditions that grant enemies advantage (invisible, blind, restrained, stunned) so Wildhunt will apply reasonably often. It's pretty nice for characters with reckless attack, but both this and rage use a bonus action. Negating advantage not only reduces an enemy's ability to hit, but also to crit, so even though it won't apply in every encounter, you'll be glad to have it when it does.

both this and rage use a bonus action

Only to activate. Once you turn them on they are good for the duration.

And basically, stuff Rage, advantage on every attack without the drawback is much better.

How often are you honestly going to bite someone as a Longtooth?

A melee fighter who doesn't use their bonus action for anything else I guess.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Only to activate. Once you turn them on they are good for the duration.

And basically, stuff Rage, advantage on every attack without the drawback is much better.
rage is mostly useful to counteract the negative effects of Reckless Attack IMHO. Taking a new look at Wildhunt now.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Wildhunt: "no creature within 30 feet of you can make an attack roll with advantage against you"

Weak and very situational? Unless you pick up two levels of Barbarian for Reckless Attack....
There's a variety of ways that - and how it would ripple it's way through the system - could be interpreted.

The most out-there would be "creatures w/in 30 feet who have advantage against you can't attack you." ;)

But, more reasonably, does that mean they can't cancel disadvantage that they may also have when attacking you? That could be interesting.
Is it just an oversight that you can still have disadvantage when they use a spell or other special attack that forces a save rather than rolls to hit?

And just, generally, advantage seems to come up a lot.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
rage is mostly useful to counteract the negative effects of Reckless Attack

I mean, the extra damage rider doesn't hurt. Or well, it does hurt, but just your opponents.

Shift round 1, Rage round 2. Now you're attacking at advantage on every attack, no negatives AND you get that bonus damage rider, plus whatever other benefits come from your rage based on your Primal Path.
  • Ancestral Guardians, Divine Fury, Storm Aura damage riders on top of the base + to str attacks
  • Wolf Totem would go well with this as well, so now YOU have effectively pack tactics and your allies all get advantage on enemies you threaten in addition to you having it from Reckless Attack.

This could get nasty, but yeah, I love it in the hands of a bad guy @CleverNickName! :)

Remove ads