D&D 5E Hs anyone else noticed this shifter wrinkle?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I ran a longtooth paladin/fighter with a greatsword and the bite was pretty handy. I had Great Weapon Master, but it wouldn't activate most rounds. On the other hand, the bite was a free Str-based attack that I could use every round to apply paladin smites and battlemaster expertise dice. I could miss twice and crit with the bite, doing 2d6 + 6d8 + Str by blowing a spell slot and a fighter die.

Keep in mind that a lot of two-handed and sword + board builds don't have a reliable bonus action attack, on demand. Having a whole extra attack to apply riders has its uses.

I am almost positive that Jeremy Crawford did a sage advice where smites do not apply to unarmed and natural attacks, but only weapons.

When you are bitten by a paladin does that turn you into an angel?

No, but you do turn into a pretentious know it all who thinks they are the morality police.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Wildhunt: "no creature within 30 feet of you can make an attack roll with advantage against you"

Weak and very situational? Unless you pick up two levels of Barbarian for Reckless Attack....

Sure. It's kinda strong if everything you fight is within 30ft. But any DM worth their salt will read that and start unloading on you from 31ft away. A few sacrificial melee opponents making normal attacks against you to keep you away from the ranged, then pepper you with ranged with advantage. A few bow-wielding rogues would put a serious dent in your day.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases