• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Huge Constrictor Snake - Just how HUGE is it?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
So, in last nights adventure the druid shapechanged into a Huge (as in size of the base, not a generic descriptor) constrictor snake.

We were having a hard time wrapping our minds around exactly how large a snake this might be. I put my best guess as it being roughly 40-50 feet long, with the huge base representing the snake being coiled up not stretched out in a line.

What say you, huddled masses of ENWorld?

So, in last nights adventure the druid shapechanged into a Huge (as in size of the base, not a generic descriptor) constrictor snake.

We were having a hard time wrapping our minds around exactly how large a snake this might be. I put my best guess as it being roughly 40-50 feet long, with the huge base representing the snake being coiled up not stretched out in a line.

What say you, huddled masses of ENWorld?

I was thinking about this recently for similar reasons. I see a giant anaconda as Large, so a Giant Constrictor Snake will be fantasy large: a head as large as a horse's head, and a body as thick as a man's torso, like something out of a movie. Sixty feet long. Weighs over a ton. If the druid wants to uncoil, I'd let him be ten squares long.

S

Sunseeker

I have always been under the impression that the "size" of a creature represented the total number of squares a creature filled in a 3D space. I liked some of the older editions that had a few monsters noted as "tall" or "long" so that it was more easily represented that they were 1x2x3 or 3x2x1.

A large creature is 2x2x2, for a total of 8 squares. A "long" creature might be 1x1x8. I think most snakes would fit into this category. Using 3D representation over 2D representation I feel helps visualize monsters as more than flat tokens.

Remove ads