D&D 5E Human Revenant question

OniDaimyo

Villager
In the UA article, does a human revenant get the +1 to every stat, then a +1 to two more stats and a +1 to con? OR do they only get a +1 to two stats and a +1 to con? If its a character who died and came back as a revenant, that's kinda a pain to reduce every stat by 1 except for two and then increase con by 1...

Last edited:

MrHotter

First Post
Does a human revenant get the +1 to every stat, then a +1 to two more stats and a +1 to con? OR do they only get a +1 to two stats and a +1 to con? If its a character who died and came back as a revenant, that's kinda a pain to reduce every stat by 1 except for two and then increase con by 1...

Where are you getting the info on a Revenant as a player?

The Monster Manual does not mention a player becoming a revenant, but if you go with what they have under the info for vampire or wherewolf players, then you would not change the current stats/abilities for the player unless the revenant would have higher stats.

It should be more of a template on top of the current player's abilities. It's a definite power boost, so make sure all the players are ok with this.

MrHotter

First Post
Unearthed Arcana? The Gothic Hero's one?

Ahh...that makes sense.
https://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA Gothic Characters.pdf

It looks like you would reduce all of your stats but two of them by one point but then add one point to constitution.

For balance sake it's replacing your subrace abilities with the revenant subrace abilities. Humans/Dragonborn/Tiefling did not have subrace abilities in the Players Handbook, so they had special rules for that.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Ahh...that makes sense.
https://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA Gothic Characters.pdf

It looks like you would reduce all of your stats but two of them by one point but then add one point to constitution.

For balance sake it's replacing your subrace abilities with the revenant subrace abilities. Humans/Dragonborn/Tiefling did not have subrace abilities in the Players Handbook, so they had special rules for that.

Yup this. Revenants get some big bonuses. Losing some 1s to stats is the trade off.

OniDaimyo

Villager
Ok. Hmm I am unsure if I will be a revenant then or not. I like the plus 1 to every stat humans get..
So what of a half elf Revenant?

MrHotter

First Post
Ok. Hmm I am unsure if I will be a revenant then or not. I like the plus 1 to every stat humans get..
So what of a half elf Revenant?

They've left off half-elf and half-orc from the PHB races without sub-races list. Add in the races from other official sources and you would need to figure out aarakocra, goliath, firbolg, and many others.

If I had to house rule a half-elf revenant I would say remove the +2 charisma and the Skill Versatility feature. That would still leave them better off than the human or variant human.

OniDaimyo

Villager
That's way too weak. Sage Advice actually said reduce CHA to +1 and remove skill versatility. And Half-Elfs DO have subraces now. Sword Coast Adventurers Guide has some.

OniDaimyo

Villager
Do Revenants need to eat, sleep, drink and breathe? Like will it adversely affect them if they dont do those things? Sure they can't die permanently but could a revenant be starved to death? Drown? Die from lack of sleep or water and then have to wait 24 hours to come back?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases