• No

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 4.2%

Laurefindel

Legend
Most likely,

I recon there are three types of humans-only D&D games;
  • games in multi-racial setting (lets say FR) but race choice is restricted to human.
  • games in a human-only setting (other races can exist, but their entry would be in the Monstrous Manual rather than the PHB).
  • games in a human-only setting but where PHB races are re-fluffed as regional/cultural/ancestral variations of humans.

I really like the last one. I'd miss the customization loss of the second one, but would enjoy the game nonetheless (especially for a mythical history game). As for the first, I wholly rely on DM to make it pertinent.

Li Shenron

Legend
Extreme restrictions or big themes are things I would have to know the DM can handle well first.
As a DM, I would be interested in hearing what worries you that a DM couldn't handle when using character creation restrictions... usually it gets more messy when players have too many options rather than too few, except maybe if everyone must be the same class. Being all human is hardly a significant restriction in terms of what characters can or cannot do.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As a DM, I would be interested in hearing what worries you that a DM couldn't handle when using character creation restrictions... usually it gets more messy when players have too many options rather than too few, except maybe if everyone must be the same class. Being all human is hardly a significant restriction in terms of what characters can or cannot do.

As a DM, it's less that a DM couldn't handle when using character creation restrictions as it is more that extreme restrictions are often indicative of the DM departing heavily from base D&D assumptions.

Not every DM knows how to do that. Most don't if they haven't received help, aren't experienced in the edition, or aren't using a book written by someone who is.

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Here's a question: Human only in -concept- or human only in -function-?

You could easily run a game where you adapt the racial traits of various D&D races into a single "Human" race where different members get different benefits, possibly through culture and background.

Like a group of larger-than-average humans who are Natural Athletes and Shrug off some Damage, adapted to extreme environments, and lift/drag/carry larger amounts than the standard human.

Which is a Goliath with the Narrative removed.

Reynard

Legend
Here's a question: Human only in -concept- or human only in -function-?

You could easily run a game where you adapt the racial traits of various D&D races into a single "Human" race where different members get different benefits, possibly through culture and background.

Like a group of larger-than-average humans who are Natural Athletes and Shrug off some Damage, adapted to extreme environments, and lift/drag/carry larger amounts than the standard human.

Which is a Goliath with the Narrative removed.
Actually human only, not merely obfuscated.

Remove ads