D&D 5E Hunters mark and hex and immunity to non-magic damage

auburn2

Adventurer
A lich has immunity to "Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing From Non-magical Attacks". If use hex and attack with a non-magic weapon does the lich take the 1d6 hex damage?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yes. Using Hex, Hunter's Mark, Booming Blade, etc. allows the damage from the spell to work, even if the weapon is non-magical.

NOTE: I've seen conflicting rules on this both ways, FWIW.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes. Using Hex, Hunter's Mark, Booming Blade, etc. allows the damage from the spell to work, even if the weapon is non-magical.

NOTE: I've seen conflicting rules on this both ways, FWIW.
Almost replied before the edit.

It's definitely something you want to ask the DM about.

A lich has immunity to "Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing From Non-magical Attacks". If use hex and attack with a non-magic weapon does the lich take the 1d6 hex damage?

Hex deals necrotic damage. Which the lich is resistant to (but not immune like it is with B, S and P damage) so that works fine.

Hunters Mark adds weapon damage (S, B or P), but doesn't make the weapon a Magical Weapon so it doesn't work.

Hunters Mark adds weapon damage (S, B or P), but doesn't make the weapon a Magical Weapon so it doesn't work.
"Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack"

It's the SPELL that does the extra damage, not the weapon. And spells are not "non-magical weapons".

Just like Hex, the damage from Hunter's Mark is separate and still applies, even if the weapon itself does nothing.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
"Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack"

It's the SPELL that does the extra damage, not the weapon. And spells are not "non-magical weapons".

Just like Hex, the damage from Hunter's Mark is separate and still applies, even if the weapon itself does nothing.
I doesn’t say that though. “You deal an extra 1d6 damage” tells me it’s increasing the damage done by the weapon attack.

I doesn’t say that though. “You deal an extra 1d6 damage” tells me it’s increasing the damage done by the weapon attack.
It says "you" not "your weapon".

If it increased the weapon damage then it should benefit from Two Weapon Style (if used with an eligible weapon). I believe there is a sage advice saying that it does not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases