D&D 5E Hunters mark and hex and immunity to non-magic damage

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hex works, as does Hunter's Mark, according to SA. This should clear it up:

1596455574765.png

But, as always, make sure your DM and table agrees with the ruling and wants to play that way.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Honestly, either interpretation is understandable. But treating hunter’s mark as separate, magical damage gives characters the tools they may need to overcome a monster’s resistances and immunities, though it does potentially complicate damage rolling and adjudication. And that’s not a bad thing.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, I allow it to make all the attack’s damage magical, but I can’t really see the reasoning to go the other way.
My reasoning is that the spell is increasing the damage from the attack, not dealing its own separate source of damage (which is why damage type isn’t specified). Narratively, the spell marks the target so you can more easily track it and hit it harder/more precisely with your attacks - the spell itself isn’t what’s doing the damage.

But, like I said, it’s not a big deal either way. I see the argument for the other interpretation, and it is the official ruling.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My reasoning is that the spell is increasing the damage from the attack, not dealing its own separate source of damage (which is why damage type isn’t specified). Narratively, the spell marks the target so you can more easily track it and hit it harder/more precisely with your attacks - the spell itself isn’t what’s doing the damage.

But, like I said, it’s not a big deal either way. I see the argument for the other interpretation, and it is the official ruling.
I guess I can see that narratively, sure. Mechanically, spells damage is always magical, of course, but narratively that works, especially for a character flavoring their Hunters Mark as just supernatural eagle eyed perception.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases