• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Hybrid Classic 3d6/Point Buy (PF/3.5)

adembroski

First Post
So I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone with this, and just wondering what people think. Also, I'm sure someone else has come up with this, so maybe someone has experience with it.

I want to A.) bring back the OD&D experience where you don't necessarily know what you're going to get...imperfect characters, non-optimized attributes, etc.. and B.) Give the players some control over the result. There are some campaign specific reasons as well, related to my own homebrew. I'm looking to reach vaguely the same numbers that are produced by 4d6-drop lowest.

First, classic method 1... 3d6 in order.

Second, 12 points to spend on raising those base attributes... according to the following chart...

Score IsRaise ToCost

Cost is cumulative, so raising from an 11 to a 13 would cost 3 points (1 point from 11 to 12, 2 points from 12 to 13). Scores cannot be lowered.

"Hopeless" rule still applies. Also considering a "swap any two attributes" rule after rolling but prior to point buy to maintain some choice over class, but I'm hesitant to dilute any further than the point-buy.

Racial bonuses and penalties applied AFTER point-buy phase.

Last edited:

Remove ads