• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I’m not dead yet…..sticking with 3.5

GoldieDavid

Explorer
If I showed up and was surprised when they started to talk about W&W, it would not be bait and switch, it would be my failure to read.
That's why the OP's argument doesn't hold. If you can't read the fine print, ask someone who can, or don't take the dose.

I'm guessing the OP's irritation is really that he isn't seeing as much "pure" 3.5 support as he would like. I, on the other hand am happy to link all the OGL variants as the more of an "SRD/OGL" community there is as opposed to a "Wotc standard D&D" community, the more space there will be for all non 4e variants including 3.5.

It seems from my grognardish perspective that all of these variants are closer to 3.5 than 4e is. Wouldn't it be easier to convert 3.5 characters to these variants than 4e? Wouldn't the flavour of playing them be closer to 3.5 than 4e woul be? (okay, a very subjective question..)

Warhammer, I'm less familar with - does it have anything like "pushes" or "surges'? Maybe it is closer to 3.5 than 4e is.:devil:

P.S. Many thanks to Joe G Kushner, Psion and Crothian for the many reviews that they have done that have been the part of ENworld that I have most enjoyed over the years. :D

Treebore

First Post
Sorry, Joe.

The idea that Pathfinder needs to be "dual statted" for 3.0 or 3.5 is preposterous.

Yep, I find Pathfinder far, far more compatible with 3.5E than Arcana Evolved.

Then again, if I switched to Pathfinder, I would actually use PF as my core rules. With AE I couldn't do that.

GoldieDavid

Explorer
P.P.S. Please no more references to naked posting. Knowing neither of you gentlemen(?), I now have a mental picture of nude "average gamers" that is quite unsavoury.:eek:

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Sorry, Joe.

The idea that Pathfinder needs to be "dual statted" for 3.0 or 3.5 is preposterous.

I agree.

That was Imaro's position, that this seminar might be about publishers dual statting books with pure 3.5 stats and their OGL variant stats.

Unless I'm completely reading Imaro's posts wrong. Which is possible.

RodneyThompson

First Post
So, I attended this seminar today (along with Mearls, Bart Carroll, Peter Schaefer, and Logan Bonner). It was a chance for Chris Pramas to promote GR's upcoming offerings, a chance for SKR and Bulmahn to talk about Pathfinder, and a chance for Wolf Baur to talk about Kobold Quarterly. Nothing nefarious, or controversial. Just those guys talking about their products. Darrin Drader was there, too, talking about...freelancing for those guys, I guess? He and SKR didn't say a ton, and I got called out in the middle of it to answer some Star Wars questions.

I think Wolf (or whoever organized it, but Wolf was the moderator) probably should have called it "the OGL isn't dead yet" because of the discussions only two product lines--the current Pathfinder modules and Kobold Quarterly--are truly producing new 3.5 material. True20/M&M is decidedly an OGL spinoff, and Pathfinder (while billed as "as close to 3.5 as possible") is still an unknown quantity to the world at large. Still, the content would largely be the same no matter what it's called.

It was a chance for the guys to talk about the games they like/make. Nothing dastardly about that!

Also, afterward Bulmahn joined us for beers. Hooray beer!

Last edited:

Monkey King

Explorer
I moderated the panel, and we talked about 3.5 projects like Halls of the Mountain King, a LOT of discussion on the details of Pathfinder compatibility (upshot, it's much more 3.5 compatible than AE), and a little on True20 and current Pathfinder adventure path material like Legacy of Fire.

No one in the audience seemed surprised by the content. I'm still a little stunned that I was asked to moderate, given that I'm currently doing a lot of 4E work, but it was great to see the love for 3.5.

Last edited:

Derro

First Post
No one in the audience seemed surprised by the content. I'm still a little stunned that I was asked to moderate, given that I'm currently doing a lot of 4E work, but it was great to see the love for 3.5.

Aha! Proof positive that the 4e camp is seeking to undermine 3.5 community. To give a person of such clear motivation power over a 3.5 discussion panel! I'm aghast.

Nefarity!
Conspiracy!!
Shenanigans!!!
Other words repeated frequently and loudly!!!!

Good day.

(;))

JoeGKushner

First Post
Sounds like a good panel.

But yeah, I agree (and mentioned upthread) that it probably shouldn't be called sticking with 3.5 if it's going in some of those arcs.

Remove ads