• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I already feel sorry for my players.

Sejs

First Post
Dog_Moon2003 said:
So you're trying to say everyone does it because it's all about power? So I'm in the minority if I like it because I think it's just plain neat and fun [and NOT because it gives me power :] ] ? Oy. I guess we live in a world where people believe power is everything. Not to say that I can never get trapped in the power mindset, but some of my most fun characters have been my weakest ones, and those weren't gestalt either.
Not at all. I'm no more saying that everyone who plays a gestalt game does it for the power any more than I'm saying that everyone who plays in an epic game is all about killing Orcus in one round and having Tiamat as their familiar. Nah, what I was saying was in response to the question of what's with all the gestalt? Well, gestalt is bigger. Some people dig big.

Am I saying that if you like gestalt you're automatically shallow and hungering for recognition? Not in the slightest. I myself thing gestalt is fine in a game that's made for it, and moreover it does a very good job in being able to create themed games. Such as ones where everyone is a martial artist and the game's all wuxia-like, or one where everyone's a rogue and it's all sly and underworld-y, or one where everyone's part of a big wizarding society, and so on.

In the end, it's just another tool in the box. Just using it doesn't mean anything; how and why you use it does.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Kelleris
At least you CAN derail a thread. I have a brainstorm about epic-level use of gestalt and I can't muster more than a single partially OT post. I bow before your chaos-making skills, Dog_Moon.

The trick is to not try. ;) I expected a single little answer and that would be the end of it. Of course that no one thought the OP was important enough to talk about helps, I guess.

Originally posted by Sejs
Not at all. I'm no more saying that everyone who plays a gestalt game does it for the power any more than I'm saying that everyone who plays in an epic game is all about killing Orcus in one round and having Tiamat as their familiar. Nah, what I was saying was in response to the question of what's with all the gestalt? Well, gestalt is bigger. Some people dig big.

Am I saying that if you like gestalt you're automatically shallow and hungering for recognition? Not in the slightest. I myself thing gestalt is fine in a game that's made for it, and moreover it does a very good job in being able to create themed games. Such as ones where everyone is a martial artist and the game's all wuxia-like, or one where everyone's a rogue and it's all sly and underworld-y, or one where everyone's part of a big wizarding society, and so on.

In the end, it's just another tool in the box. Just using it doesn't mean anything; how and why you use it does.

Ah, okay. I guess I had taken what you said a little the wrong way. [And themed Stealth games are pretty neat, though the campaign didn't last long. Was fun when everybody could Hide and Move Silently well and we could sneak past things].

Thanee

First Post
Sejs said:
It's because gestalt is the new black amongst the Mind-Is-Bigger crowd.

Gestalt can also be quite useful, for a small party and if you want to create more generalist (but capable in their areas) adventurers instead of the typical highly specialized crew. It definitely has its uses.

But, of course, it also works well for bigger-better-Gestalt. :p

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads