D&D (2024) I am highly skeptical of the Unreal VTT

Hussar

Legend
I guess this is why I'm not highly skeptical.

Heroforge is hardly a new, cutting edge program. It's been around for a lot of years. Things like Talespire are hardly being developed by massive studios with million dollar budgets. Not that WotC is a massive studio or anything like that, that's not what I mean, but, it is proof that you can have a pretty gorgeous VTT without needing anything near a AAA budget production.

Nothing about a VTT requires anything cutting edge. It's all tried and proven stuff that you can find all over the place. DM Alchemist, Talespire and a shopping list of other examples.

So, no, I'm not really skeptical that it can be done. Now, will it be done really well? I dunno. I do know it can be though.

Clint_L

Hero
As someone who has a lot of money and time invested in my hand-painted miniatures and terrain, I don't see myself going over to a virtual tabletop as my first choice. But sometimes I do play online, and then it would be great. Plus, there are lots of folks, especially younger folks, who don't have a garage full of decades worth of gaming stuff, so this could be brilliant for them. I won't be first in line to use it, but I am excited to see what it becomes.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Yeah that's a fair point, but so many businesses don't do that, include really big corporate ones, because of the sheer burden of getting people up to speed on the newest engine. UE5 is a remarkable engine, and very flexible (in theory), so could be good, for sure.

I guess the advantage here is the product doesn't exist, so however long it takes, it takes that long. It's not like they're trying to keep something going.
This. Withered tech has great value in that you know the kinks, it's relatively cheap to develop for, and you're relatively certain that the specs won't be too powerful for the majority of your audience. It also saves on processing power and load times!

Remove ads