D&D 5E I believe a slow and light product release can cause more harm in the long run.

variant

Adventurer
I hope when they do release a content book, it's a hefty volume with high quality content. I prefer quality over quantity.

Honestly, I suspect the complaints about bloat would be as bad if they were caused by 3rd party OGL materials as with 'official' materials. After all, to a certain extent they're already absurd: if you don't like having that much material, you don't need to buy or use it!

An analogy from the computer world might be, "Who cares if Microsoft introduces breaking changes in IE 11 that prevent your company web site from functioning? If you don't like the new version, you don't need to upgrade to it!" (Or in the open source world, "If you don't like the direction oAuth 2 is going, you don't need to switch to it!") In both cases though, there exist people who will loudly make their displeasure known, with some justification, because the value of the networks they'd previously bought into is being degraded. (C.f. Metcalf's Law.)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Frankly I do not agree with the OP, I have a shelf full of 3e stuff that I never used, mostly spat books and setting info. I have a similar shelf full of 4e stuff but i did get more use out of them.
Ok, I have used the odd town or village from a campaign setting but have also taken towns and villages from adventures. I am curretly preparing to run Palace of the Silver Princess on Fantasy Grounds because i bought it 30 years ago and never used it. i am wavering for after that between the Lost Caverns of Tsojcont, Princes of the Apocalypse or Temple of elmental Evil. I would like to run Against the Giants and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks because back in the day I was homebrewing and never got to play the classics. The lack of game store in Ireland in the eighties and nineties did not help.
I have started Shackled City twice but real life has always got in the way so far. I would not care if I never saw another D&D book for the next five years but on the other hand I would likely be all over another board game as good as Lords of Waterdeep or even as good as Conquest of Nerath.

Heavy3p0

First Post
Personally i don't like rules bloat and rarely use any material beyond the core books, so the release schedule is fine with me. I am unlikely to purchase many supplements anyway so i am not the target market for many of the products they produced with earlier editions. I would like a 5E Greyhawk book and if they started to produce old school adventure modules i would buy them.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
How many threads like this have we had? How many do we have every week?

Maybe we can create a bitch about the release schedule sub forum?

delericho

Legend
An analogy from the computer world might be, "Who cares if Microsoft introduces breaking changes in IE 11 that prevent your company web site from functioning? If you don't like the new version, you don't need to upgrade to it!"

Not really. Despite everything, Internet Exploder is still a fairly key piece of software for lots of people - a problem with that is more akin to the MM being faulty.

But the complaints about bloat are more like complaining that your computer's slow because you've chosen to install a whole lot of software that you never use - either uninstall it or at least stop it running in the background!

Harry Dresden

First Post
Not really. Despite everything, Internet Exploder is still a fairly key piece of software for lots of people - a problem with that is more akin to the MM being faulty.

But the complaints about bloat are more like complaining that your computer's slow because you've chosen to install a whole lot of software that you never use - either uninstall it or at least stop it running in the background!

Or stop buying it and/or downloading it.

Remove ads