• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I can't see other computers on my home wireless network

I got it to work within 2 hours of posting this thread, and forgot to check back. I don't recall specifically what did it, but it basically came down to changing a few settings and then all was well.

Thanks anyway.

Merkuri

Explorer
In case others have this same problem, it has to do with the fact that Windows uses older and problem-prone technology to list the other computers on the network. If things aren't set up perfectly then you won't be able to browse other PCs. Usually, though, even if you can't see the other computers in the Network Neighborhood list you can still get to them through the less-problematic part of Windows networking by simply typing the name of the PC, preceded by two backslashes, in your Explorer window (like "\\MyPC").

Mercule

Adventurer
azhrei_fje said:
I agree that it's better than its bad reputation. But not by much. My wife can lock up her Dell running XP Pro/SP2 (with all updates except IE7) every 7-10 days.

It's not the software. It's the hardware. That accurately represents my experience with Dell computers over the last decade or so. They've gotten a lot better (in 1995, I would have put Dell on par with Packard Bell), but I still don't see why they're so popular. One of my friends insists that his Dell is top quality and better than my Gateway, while he orders replacement parts for it every couple of months.

Meanwhile, Gateway or HP running Windows have always run as reliably as any *nix box I've used.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads