• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I can't see other computers on my home wireless network

hong

WotC's bitch
XCorvis said:
There's a lot of weirdness in Windows sharing. Frequently, computers will simply not see each other until they've been running for a while. Sometimes they need a reboot. Sometimes they just never will without a little help.

I think there's a service that doesn't start unless Windows detects other computers on the network when it boots up. Can't remember which one it is though.

XCorvis

First Post
SteelDraco said:
If he's behind a router for the apartment, he'll want the internal IP, rather than the router's, which is what that site gives you.

If XCorvis's suggestion doesn't work, and you're behind a router, try this. At the computer you want to connect to, go to the Start menu, and hit Run. Type in "command", and then hit enter. It'll pull up a black box with an old-style DOS prompt. Type "ipconfig" in there, and it'll give you a bunch of numbers. Write down the number labeled "IP Address" - it'll probably start with 192.168, and then have two other numbers. Use that number for the IP in XCorvis's suggestion. It should connect you.

Whoops, good catch.

Bront

The man with the probe
Enable Netbios on all computers, that tends to help.

Also, check firewall settings, a firewall can sometimes block shares.

azhrei_fje

First Post
I agree that it's better than its bad reputation. But not by much. My wife can lock up her Dell running XP Pro/SP2 (with all updates except IE7) every 7-10 days. And it's a solid lock -- no mouse movement, typing more than 10 letters does not generate the "keyboard buffer is full" beep, cannot ping the machine (!), nothing. (The no-ping is particularly distressing since that should be handled by the IP stack as the result of an interrupt!)

My Unix boxes can become very slow/sluggish under a heavy load, but they don't lock up.

However, I understand about the games. About 99% of the games out there are Windows-only, so if you like to game, you just have to suck it up and use Windows.

werk

First Post
azhrei_fje said:
I agree that it's better than its bad reputation. But not by much. My wife can lock up her Dell running XP Pro/SP2 (with all updates except IE7) every 7-10 days. And it's a solid lock -- no mouse movement, typing more than 10 letters does not generate the "keyboard buffer is full" beep, cannot ping the machine (!), nothing. (The no-ping is particularly distressing since that should be handled by the IP stack as the result of an interrupt!)

My Unix boxes can become very slow/sluggish under a heavy load, but they don't lock up.

However, I understand about the games. About 99% of the games out there are Windows-only, so if you like to game, you just have to suck it up and use Windows.

Her computer is sick and dirty.

I have a dell desktop (8250) still running the virgin load of XP (5 years later) repeatedly updated and patched and never have any lock-ups of any kind.

One measurement is not a sample...I have 6 Dells, worked at Dell, and my current employer is all dells. Windows is fine, Dells are OK, users are bad.

Did Wickett ever get his wireless LAN working?

Last edited:

azhrei_fje

First Post
werk said:
Her computer is sick and dirty.
I agree, but there's no need to get personal. ;)

One measurement is not a sample...I have 6 Dells, worked at Dell, and my current employer is all dells. Windows is fine, Dells are OK, users are bad.
I agree (again). Most of the time, the primary problem is the creature sitting in front of the computer. I don't believe that in this case.

I have reloaded the machine 3 times since we bought it. The problems became so severe that sometimes the machine wouldn't finish booting. One problem was traced to a BIOS issue and reflashing the BIOS fixed it and another was a read error on the hard drive -- I'm not including those two in my harangue against Windows as they are obviously not Windows' fault.

I shouldn't be able to crash a machine by running an application. If I can, then the operating system is buggy and should be fixed. In other words, Windows is broken. And badly.

I have laptops that run other operating systems which haven't been shutdown in months; they hibernate or sleep, but never reboot. These are machines that I use for business purposes (multiple OOo windows, photo editing, Skype, and so forth). These machines have applications that crash (some more than others), but they don't lock or crash the entire machine. Every Windows machine I've had has crashed at least once, most of them quite a bit more than once. All of them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads